Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I will admit that I am not the smartest when it comes to electronics so I am looking for help from the experts. My radio on my boat is acting up and I don't know what could be wrong or where to get it looked at in the Gloucester/Richmond area. When I cut the radio on, I get power but no sound, not even any static when I mess with the squelch. Would it be the internal speaker or something with the antena?? Can anyone recommend where to take it and have it looked at or should I just buy a new one??:helpsmilie:

Thanks for the help,
Ed

·
Registered
200 Posts
Had the same thing happen last week to my cheap 2 yr old $100 JRC. Took it apart and was able to get sound by messing with the soldered connections to the speaker. Can't have that, so in the trash with it and off to buy a new Icom!

·
Registered
440 Posts
if its a uniden or a stanard i would trash it.. had the same problem with mine took it apart all connection were good. by the time you mess with you it just isnt worth the trouble. i just looked at the boaters world catalog , you can get a new icom after the mail in rebate for $120.00..

·
Registered
344 Posts
Used to work at a radio communications company in Hampton and I think their rate for service was $125 / Hr. At that rate, seems like the radio is almost disposable after the manufacturers warranty runs out. Good Luck.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I agree. They're almost disposable now a days.

One thing to remember is if you had an MMSI # assigned to the radio, ensure you cancel it and get a new one since it was previously assigned to that radio on that vessel.

Evan.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys. I figured as much but there is no harm in asking. I guess it is off to west Marine this weekend.

Ed

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
As a previous poster wrote, check the speaker connections. Sounds like the problem. You could always add an external speaker or check it that way by plugging a set headphones into the jack. An external speaker runs 15-20 bucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts