Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a couple of rail-mounted rod holders for spring trolling. Unfortunately, everyting I see is very expensive, $80 and up each for stainless. Anybody know where I can get a decent pair cheaper? Will that black poly stuff hold up? Any advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Let's see-you have a Penn 345 ($145.00 ) with a good trolling rod ($125.00) with braided line ($15.00) and tandem parachutes ($25.00) and a big fish rips the combo out of a cheap rodholder.Buy the good ones-Lee or Perko.Stay away from Taco.Keep a safety rope (3/8'') looped around the reel until you trust the holder is secure.Sometimes they loosen up after a few trips.The cheap one might be OK for small fish but I would not chance it on big fish.Alot of tackle has been lost to cheap clamp on holders.Mine are Lee's-10 seasons on the and still in great shape. Skip

·
Premium Member
17,405 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
merogers- I think I have some extras that I may sell cheap. If your interested let me know. Keith
PS>These are the one's that your rail will come off first!;)

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Mark- Waiting patiently to HO for you. We can go over alot when that happens-------------------------
If ya don't have a new boat yet, HO with me . We can go over alot when that happens------------------:D

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Boaters World sells Tigress and Perko's for less than $50 each. Just use some teflon tape on the threads of the nuts before you screw on and they won't loosen up at all. (And make sure to teflon tape the inner 'adjustment' hex bolt too!) Don't worry about a big fish. Seriously, unless you're setting your drag to 50# of pressure, the rod holder will not fail. Mine are 5 years old and working just fine.

I will say that the bolts have some pitting/corrosion on the heads, so its likely that they're either cheap neo-stainless or some other alloy. So you might consider new high-grade stainless bolts. Or else remember to take them off every other year so the bolts don't freeze.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
"decent pair cheaper".....that's an oxymoron, isn't it?:rolleyes:

like Capt. Skip said, your rods & reels are too good to risk just to save a couple bucks.

IMHO....

i learned early on, buy the best equipment you can afford and you will be happier in the long run.
if you can't afford it now..do without till you can; you've been doing without this long...

we have the Perko clamp ons.

you'll spend more money when you have to replace the cheaper ones with the good ones after a season or two.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Take a look at the Whitecap 316 S.S. Rail Mount Rod Holders ($47) at Boater's World. They are completely stainless and through bolted so you don’t have to worry about stripped threads and such. I put them through 4 years of hard work on the old boat dragging wire lines with 32 oz. mojos and 20” umbrellas attached and never had as much as a loose bolt. If wouldn’t hesitate to use them anywhere.

·
1,295 Posts
I used Perko clamp ons for many before I got my arch. They worked great with big rods and big rigs (big bait-big fish-that's true!). The only problem was the bolts-spray some Teflon lubricant on them to prevent problems and loosen them every year (I had to do that to put on my winter cover so it worked out great) You shouldn't have any issues. I can't even fathom while they even sell those plastic jobs around here with the type of fishing we do in these parts. I still to this day put a bungee cord on rods that hang straight out th side of my boat-work to hard to loose a rod for dumb reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts