Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Grady 208 that has four built in rod holders...not nearly enough. Am looking for a rail mounted, 4 rod holder. (or maybe I'll put in two) Not a lot of places to put them, so thought that rail mounted on the walkway to the front would be the best location. Any ideas would be welcome.
Would prefer SS put may have to settle for PVC type.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry, read the question wrong, thought you wanted a rod holder for the front rails. You might want to check Cabelas the have some rail mounted holders you could use for rod storage.

Travis

·
Registered
629 Posts
PVC not strong enough for most SW fishing ... only storage. Have you considered a straight SS holder mounted in the center of the transom if you have a bracketed OB? They're not expensive (~ $30). Perko and others make metal clampon holders for rail mounting, if you don't have access under the gunnel to metal flush holders. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'm really looking for storage on the way out, so PVC would work. This model of boat has a colapsable cutting board/work area directly behind the OB that must come down when the motor trimmed up. Looks like I'm back to the rails. What I haven't seen (and I'm sure someone makes them) is a 4 rod holder that would fit into one of my forward existing in-boat rod holders. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Try a milk crate. Add weight in the bottom. Cut pvc pipe and tie wrap or bolt in corners (4) or more around perimeter. Rods will stand up, you can move it around to the best location depending on boat load and junk. Additional tubes work great for holding lures, knife etc. A few pieces of big lead dropped in the corner tubes will weight it just fine.

I have one with just 4 tubes. I have 3700 model tackles boxes arranged by target species. When I go with someone I get 3 tackle boxes that are relavent. The standup rod holders are normally a welcome addition. One stick of pvc is cheap. I would put one in each corner and then one centered on each side. Then use the remaining space for storage.

A milk crate doesn't take up much space and you will be surprized how many times you need a place to toss something in to keep it close. A 5 gallon bucket will work too.

Good luck. Let us now what you end up with.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I'm not sure where you're trying to put them. I've got a 204 and it has 2- 3 tube racks mounted on the sides of the forward fish boxes. I also have rod racks in the cubby up under the walkrounds to accommodate an additional 4 setups.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Boater's World or West Marine have what you're looking for and will work fine. On my walk-around I mounted Perko rod holders (about $29.95 each) on the bow rail, but on the uprights that support the horizon section. You can put one on each upright on each side to maximize your ability to have rod holders.

Just remember when you are traveling, having rod holder where you want to mount them, the rods will need to be held in place with bungees. Your idea will work great for flounder and other types of bottom fishing.

I use mine all the time like that. In fact, the rear-most holders on the bow rail I use for trolling for stripers in the fall.

Having a three or four rod holder mounted on the cabin in the walkway area is cumbersome when trying to get forward for anchor chores etc., when in choppy weather. I thought about that also and opted for the above.

Good luck.[excited]

·
Registered
84 Posts
BayDaze,

Boaters World makes a 3 rod holder that fits into your existing flush rod holder mount. Check them out and maybe its what your looking for. I just saw a stainless steel one there yesterday.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My SeaPro never had enough rod holders for me (8) so I've added 6 more in various places. I have used rail mounts on different boats over the years. I still use the adjustable black plastic Perkos because they don't mar or corrode the rails, a problem with the Zamac/Chrome plated models. And they're only $30 a pair compared to $tainless $teel. Downside, I think UV rays get to them after a while and the start to spit. And expensive solution are rod clusters that fit in to the flush-mount rod holders designed to increase the capacity to 4 or five rods. Or a kite fishing rod holder ($150) that holds three; you can actually troll with these. I recently built a two rod PVC holder by bending a piece of 1-1/4 PVC pipe at a 45 ° angle and bolting it to another piece.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The only problem with mounting multiple holders on the transom for transport (not fishing) is when you stop to fish the ones you aren't using are in your way.

Another solution is a rod carrier. You can buy them but I use a 6', 3/4" PVC pipe bolted to a big 4" end cap. (can you tell I like working with PVC?) holds 4 sometimes 5 rods. The cap holds the rod buts and I tie the rods to the pipe with a velcro strap and throw them in the cabin until we get to the fishing grounds. Cheap & easy (I like my women that way too.)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Baydaze,
I have a 209 Escape Grady.....I took the drink holders out at the rear seats (next to fold up cutting board/splash dam) and mounted two lee 0 degree rod holders in the same holes.....I rigged flat line clips to those seats hand rail and run my flat lines from there.....had to use the larger Lee rod holders to fill hole...when drifting the rods sway some due to large diameter, so I just stuff a fish towel behind them in the hole....it falls into floor when you pull rod outta holder.....I also have the perko SS rod holders on the fron rail (as shown just above)....I don't use them on the troll for tuna but have for stripers and they work fine for that, and Cobia fishing too.....not sure I'd let a tuna grab an expensive rod in those without a leash!!
Duane
Ms Ginny
Grady White

1 - 13 of 13 Posts