Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually fish the bay, but I have been trying to learn the ways of the river the last few trips. I have a pretty good feeling that the rain may have a negative impact on the bite, but I wanted to check with the experts. I have been fishing just below Hopewell and was going to head out tomorrow. The last few trips have been productive for smaller sized fish. I had a monster on, but the battle was short lived. I live on the NC line in Suffolk and wanted to get some opions before driving 1.5 hours to dump the boat. How will the rain today affect the bite tomorrow? How do the cats respond to temperature drops like we are currently experiencing? One other question, I have only been able to catch perch for fresh bait (cut and live), are the shad that much better?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hope the front does not turn off the bite. Will be making the 2hr drive up there saturday morning too. I will be there even if the bite is off, need to learn the river and scout out for holes.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Justin let me know if you need any bait before you go on up there....I was thinking about going myself....if you need any bodies......?
Kip said Fred went up the same day I did on tuesday...but was later going up then I....and did not get a report from him......

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He did really good. I'll be go wither way myself, I was just curious as to what to expect. Have done well in the shallower crekks, but will they still be there or head deep? Kendall, I think I have a spot. You have anything fresh? I would like to not have to go to the bait spot and just head out to fish.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I do not feel that cold fronts inhibit the feeding activity of blue catfish as much as other species such as bass. Sure they will not feed like they would on a warm spring day but they still do eat. You can often hook into a few big ones on those dreary windy days.

I am focusing on the shallower areas not far from deep water or creeks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes Justin I got plenty of fresh....And soon as I get home I will be getting plenty more....Nice big Menhaden and a few mudshad.....

·
Registered
782 Posts
Justin,if you need to get up with me before I get off @ 3pm call me at 836-5602 just ask for me.....I sent you a b-mail as well.....if it worked....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Justin, Is There Any Thing That You Do Not Fish For. I Am Sure We Will Be Hearing About The Citation Cats That You Have Benn Catching Very Soon. I Am Going With Guide Mike Ostrander This Wed. To Try To Up My Learning Curve. I Went Flathead Fishing With Him Last Summer And Had A Great Day And Learned Alot. I Will Ask About Him About Perch Verses Shad For Bait. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds encouraging. Looks like we will try to hit them up both days. I am sure it will take me a while to get dialed in to them. At least if I figure it out this year, next year I will know what to do. I guess I need to move out closer to the main chanel for some bigger ones. There is a wreck near where I have been fishing that is in about 50ft if I remember correctly, it that to deep. The spots I have been fishing have been 25 foot holes in bends with really shallow water at the mouths of the creeks before you get the the bends in the water.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No that was not me, but I wish it would have been, then I would feel better about the spot I am fishing. the last time I fished up there was Saturday.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I JUST FISHED WITH MIKE OSTRANDER THIS PAST WED. AND HAD A BLAST!!THE GUY IS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE!WE CAUGHT 14 FISH.SOME OF THE NICER ONES WERE 37,34,27,25,23 SOME 18'S AND ONE 15LB FLATHEAD.THE FIRST ONE WAS A BRUTE BUT MY FATHER-IN-LAW LOST HIM IN SOME STRUCTURE.I LEARNED ALOT AND WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK!:bigfish:

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you all want to learn a bit from some good 'ol boys you should come on out to some JRCC tournaments and make some contacts. We all have a good time and sometimes get together on other dates and BS and do some small throw together tournaments. It's really a great bunch of guys to fish with.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just got back in from the James. It was very hard to get a bit in the morning for us. The bite turned on just as soon as the wind picked up---maybe barometer change. Lost two big ones in structure. Landed one 10 pounds. Lots of little fish picking up the bait then dropping it. By the way want to thank every one who stopped by me this morning watching me try to throw my cast net lol, and offer me some bait. Mike on the pontoon boat thanks forthe bait. It is awsome how every one on the river up there that I run into asked if we needed bait. The guy that fished with me liked it so much he called a buddy and they will be commi:thumbup: ng up next to fish the river and want to fish a tournement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts