Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may end up moving down to the Research Triangle area for business. It looks like there are a couple of reservoirs nearby and that the ocean is only a couple hours away.

How is the fishing in the area, and what types of boats would do well there? Currently have a Triumph 170 CC, which I figure is ok for the lakes, and an Arima Chaser 17 cuddy/walk around, which might work on the lakes, rivers, and maybe inshore.

Currently fish a large tidal river (mid/lower Potomac) and the Arima is adequate 80% of the time, but think I may need to move up in size if I am going into the ocean.

Also, any good nearby towns to live in, or is Raleigh itself pretty decent? See Rocky Mount on the map, looks to split the difference between Raleigh and the coast without being a horrible commute.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm not aquianted with the fishing around the Raliegh area except to know that there are stripers to be had in the Roanoke rapids/gaston lake area.your boats should be fine for this and for fishing any rivers and inshore on the coast.

Raliegh is a nice town with plenty to do.there are several smaller towns nearby that are worth taking a look at for a place,not sure if I would go as far as Rocky Mount though. good luck mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Wilson which is in between Rocky Mount and Raleigh. I'm about 45 miles east of Raleigh which is an easy drive because it's 4 lane all the way with 70 mph speed limit. There are a few lakes very close to Raleigh with in 25-30 miles that are very good for bass, crappie, catfish, etc..., Lake Jordan, Falls Lake and Shearin Harris lake. I have fished all these lakes but you really need to learn your way around these lakes to find the fish. I prefer the large lakes and rivers and there are quite a few within 1-2 hours from me. Kerr Lake, Lake Gaston, Roanke River and Chowan River are all well known for large mouth bass and stripers. I had a bass boat but sold it and got a 18.5 CC Kenner bay boat with a front and rear casting deck. This boat has served me very well because I like to fresh water and salt water fish. I do a lot of trout, albacore, blue fish and spot fishing in the Cape Lookout and surrounding area which is about 2 hours from my house. I also like to fish the James River in Virginia for large croakers, but that is about a 3.5 hour drive. To get back to your other question; Rocky Mount would be a nice place to live, and it is a growing town, but it would be about a 60 mile drive to Raleigh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts