Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been asked before, but I thought I'd ask again. I've only been out a couple times all year. I was thinking about fishing the HRBT and was wondering about that boat ramp that they were re-doing a few years back that is right there on the spit. Is it in decent shape and is there ample parking? Seems like the closest way to get there - worth the drive over the tunnel from the Peninsula. I used to use the ramp at Ft Monroe, but I have no idea what the deal is there anymore. I used to use it when my boat was on a roller trailer - now that its on a bunk, I don't know if that ramp is steep enough. Oh well, any sage advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i would rec using the ramp on the right side if your looking at the ramp, should not have a problem with a bunk trailer either and there is plenty of parking.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Similar thread on page 2

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/virginia-angler/248099-parking-willoughby-spit.html

I have a similar thread you might look at. Willoughby ramp is nice. Gets it share of jerks but ok ramp. Paking is the problem. I'm not the first to arrive anytime I go so I'm always looking for a spot. I have a rather long rig.........anyway you can see.

I'm concerned. I'm going tomorrow. May take a peek at Monroe. Tons of parking there. Ramp is still in good shape. Give the marina there a call if you need more info. Nice guys there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jamie Cloop - are you talking about the Willoughby ramp? Seems parking is an issue there, but we'll see. I may call Ft. Monroe and see what the latest is there. Lots of sand on that ramp if I remember, but my AWD should be able to hand that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
niether of you have anything to worry about as far as parking goes. If you want to worry about something it would be the people that prowl the lot when your gone but that happens at every ramp exept city park. While not a far run to the hrbt they have security there 24/7 and usualy one or more cops hideing out

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The ramps are new and have good depth to them. I put my 23 ft. boat in there often, day and night. Have not had any problems so far.

·
Registered
336 Posts
SpotKing,

I just walked my rig its almost 55 ft LOA (18 steps). Parking is an issue for me at Willoughby. there isnt enough long slots or the little guys take them. Whatever the reason, grab me a spot tomorrow, i'll see u around noon.

Albe Broke

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got a crewcab with a trailer ment for a 28 ft boat never had a problem like I said if your worried about parking drop in at portsmoth city park and make the run. I fish at night a lot so that might be the difference in the available spots

·
Registered
336 Posts
Happy Day,

Was concerned when I left home at 1030 that lot would be full, happy surprise, got there and ample parking. Still had everything from the second axle aft sticking out but not a problem today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts