Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the day off wed and wanted to fish solomons area. I live in cordova md and don't want to tow over to solomons if i don't have to but will. looking for ramp over here to launch and run over. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Hoopers Island has a ramp at the first bridge and a few miles south of the second bridge. No permits are needed. You are directly across the bay from southern Maryland.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I live in Cordova also and Tow that way all the time. Go to the slaughter creek ramp down past Cambridge. If you have never fished the Hoopers Island ramp it is very tricky. The channel is lined by little trees by the waterman and is real narrow. On a high tide you may have 4 feet low tide you have nothing...Slaughter creek will put you right across from gas docks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I tried a trip out of that ramp in early winter, its a windy channel with a strong tide flow ,a nd mere twigs lining the way. difficult at best in daylite. Foolish after dark.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Slaughter creek or Madison , Slaughter Creek is a closer boat run . Madison is a nicer ramp both are public ramps. Taylor Island camp ground has a ramp but it is private so there is a fee . I do not remember the fee.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tubby , the twigs wernt there last weekend , so I dont think anyone has done it yet this year . The winter ice takes them out . Now that the crabbers are out someone will probably mark it . Just remember to stay 100 yards to the right of the green marker going out useing the center span of the bridge.
I live in Cordova also and Tow that way all the time. Go to the slaughter creek ramp down past Cambridge. If you have never fished the Hoopers Island ramp it is very tricky. The channel is lined by little trees by the waterman and is real narrow. On a high tide you may have 4 feet low tide you have nothing...Slaughter creek will put you right across from gas docks.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
You can launch at Hoopersville come out of the harbor into the Honga and go left past bentleys point to the Hoopers island bridge, you are 11 miles from the mouth of the Pax, or you can launch at Gootees marine, down to the bridge then across to the Pax.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I believe you are talking about the Fishing Creek ramp....Hooper's Island ramp in Hoopersville is farther down...alot easier to navigate. With that said...the FC ramp is the closest, but can be difficult to navigate with out shining your prop. I haven't been out of that ramp in 2 years though...it may have changed some.

BTW- I live in the big metropolis of Cordova too!!!:yes:

Andy

·
Registered
454 Posts
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/boatramps.asp

That's a link to the boat ramp atlas on the dnr website. It is an intractive map, that show the locations and information about all the ramps in Maryland.

http://mddnr.chesapeakebay.net/fish/rampquery.cfm?Facility=WI001

I've used this one quite often, but its' considerably further away than the others previously mentioned. It's a very good ramp that will put you in the Nanticoke river and is a good, easy run to the main bay through hooper straight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wouldn't use fishing creek in anything bigger then a 16' jon boat. Unless its changed you only have about 20 feet from the end of the ramp to the marsh no way to turn a boat around.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Option is launching from ragged point out of cambridge, ramp is nice and wide and good shape also parking is good. james island, little choptank, right around the point and across from the western shore power plant

1 - 13 of 13 Posts