Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I propose that we have a thread which suggests that folks post random images . These Images might be photos that you have taken or ones that you have pulled from other sources but are not "hot chicks" so that we can all enjoy your thought processes and where they might be wandering. They can be of any theme, but try to choose those which will not get the thread locked or banned.

I'll start with one of a Carousel horse at King's Dominion which reminds me of the painted ponies of the past and their journeys up and down through time. I'll be interested in seeing yours.

Followed by an image taken in Poquoson, VA of some clammers returning from a trip to the flats loaded to the gunnels. It's entitled "On the Line". It was meant to portray the perilous nature of the boat, the resources of the Bay and the thought that sometimes you have to take risks to achieve your goals.

This one begs the question of "Broke Back Fishing":

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Previously unpublished photos from last years California Vacation:

Statue of Fishermen from Arcata, Calif:

My wife's family's former boarding house/restaurant in Eureka, Calif., called the Buon Gusto at the time (now the Eagle House). She grew up playing here.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And of other things past:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
After Isabella ,north beach.

php?photo=6130&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try this one:

·
Registered
692 Posts
These were taken on the highway North of Anchorage in the month of July. Same scene...different perspectives. I took the first one. Such a beautiful scene, I regret I only had a little cheap, throw-away camera.

·
Registered
692 Posts
These pictures were drawn by a recently acquired elderly woman friend of mine. I was impressed by the intricate details in the drawings. But what really impressed me was when she told me that it was only less than fifteen years ago that she even realized she had this talent...and she is now in her 80's.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Well having participated in photography since the 63 Worlds Fair, later owning a photo studio, Ive got some old stuff, but most are on slides. Im in the process of slide scanning them on the computer but again slow process until I break down and get a Mac.
Anyway sorry to see film sliding off into history kinda like the daguerreotypes, cdvs, ambros, and tin types.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slide film will still be around as a favorite of professional photograpers because what you shoot is what you get and the amount of information stored in a slide still outweighs what you get in even professional digitals.

I have a bunch of slides as it is what I shot exclusively before the digitals arrived. They are a good archival record that will hold up for years and not lose a thing. I never plan to abandon it completely and still have my Canon EOS on standby often shooting with both the digital for ease of access and the slides for permanency of special shots.

I find that I think a lot more when I shoot a slide then I do with a digital because of the salvage ability of Photoshopping even bad pictures back to a reasonable state of health.

I'll be on a temporary hiatus but plan to add more photos when time permits. Keep bringing on the images. I liked the "throw away" camera images, especially the borders. You can add those to digitals but there's something special about the old bordered prints.

·
14,062 Posts
OK, an old 4X6 print I scanned in once upon a time, from Denali Ntl Park, Alaska

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]Sanity originally wrote:
Slide film will still be around as a favorite of professional photograpers
[/Q]We must run in different circles but I deal with professional photographers frequently and they almost exclusively use digital.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Well both San. & George are correct. Yes you still get a tweak more out of film. I still have a couple of Hassys but they are going on Ebay soon. Yes professionals have slowly but surely moved on to Dig. A sure sign that digs are coming is that the wedding film business has been going in the sheitter, about 50% of say 5 years ago. Had to move on to dig to be competitive, yes its alot cheaper to make a CD then process 300 5X5 images. I recently rented the Nikon D2X for a wedding and it makes some really nice 8X10s but its beaucoup denaros, so stuck with my D70 until I get rid of about 10K in Hassy equip.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]Capt Frank originally wrote:
yes its alot cheaper to make a CD then process 300 5X5 images. [/Q]and even if you do process photos, the first thing customers want is them transferred to digital so they can email them and post them on the internet. easier to start out digital in the first place.

·
Registered
474 Posts
way back when, when i use to model, i always liked film, it seemed to capture my true essence which would radiate in my dazzling smile. You could really see the texture in the black chaps that i oftem wore. Sometimes the boa seemed 3d on film.

when i'm walking down the cat walk, the way the light refelection
is captured is breath taking.

so yea, i'm a file guy.

·
Registered
842 Posts
After thirty years of shooting film, I'm kind of getting force into digital. 1. My lab went out of business end of last month. 2. More and more magazine as switching to digital. I will never give up film as long Fuji still makes film and my f100 still work. I don't think digital is cheaper I just bought the cameras D200s, now I have replaced my flashers, new digital lens, new software, external hard drive for storage and a bunch of gold CD's…. cheaper sheesh….

Film

North East Harbor

Digital

Ladyfish with a striper caught on a 12' 6" two handed fly rod

·
14,062 Posts
[q]The first pic is Fritzer's. The second is mine when I was in Denali Nat'l Park. Seems we were standing in almost the same spot.
[/q]

Probably the same stop on the bus tour. A place called Panachrome as I recall. Different times of year too; mine was late August or early Sept, your's looks like spring.

·
Registered
692 Posts
[Q]Fritzer originally wrote:
[q]The first pic is Fritzer's. The second is mine when I was in Denali Nat'l Park. Seems we were standing in almost the same spot.
[/q]

Probably the same stop on the bus tour. A place called Panachrome as I recall. Different times of year too; mine was late August or early Sept, your's looks like spring.
[/Q]

early July, '99

1 - 20 of 222 Posts