Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how much longer the sale will be going on for but the Bass Pro in Harrisburg had the Rapala 60 lb. Lock `n Weigh's on sale for $59.88. They have a 60 lb. scale build right into them and seem to be very well built. Just thought I'd post in case anyone is interested...

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Try not to use these types of holders for C/R fishing.I know,I know-all the pros and TV stars use them but on fish over 10 lbs. or so these tools can do serious damage to the fish's jaw.I stopped using them 2 yrs. ago.For fish going into the box-it's fine but don't hold the fish up with this for a photo.Hold them by the jaw and support the belly with your other hand. Skip

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
27 Sailfish - Good advise! One question for you though... are you using a net to land the stripers during C&R? I've always thought a net will do more damage by messing up the slime than by using one of these holders. My thought is to grab the fish by the lip with the holder and then lift it out of the water with my hand under it's belly as you mentioned. I tried lipping a big one last year without a holder and it was not a lot of fun. The smaller fish are not a problem and I usually don't use a holder on them. Thanks!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
I agree with brother Skip even though he's a Grady owner. I have one of the 60# lock-n-weigh's and knowing what I know now about how they work, I would have just saved up until I could get a BogaGrips. The Lock-n-weighs are a bit alkward to use, but; OK if your meat fishing or for toothy critters. IMHO not so good for C&R especially for fish in the 25-30# range.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Personally, for the bigger fish, I believe you are better off netting the fish and then hooking the net to a scale. Or better yet just take a length measurement.

With a leader glove, you can safely (as in not get your thumb chewed up) lip any sized striper... please use your other hand under the belly.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Shaggy-I don't use a net when C/R fishing.I just reach over the side and grab the lure and /or the rockfish by the mouth.Lift her in-remove the hook-hand to angler-quick photo and put her back.Takes about 30 seconds.We used to net them but others told me it takes the slime of the fish and that can let infection set in on the fish. Skip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts