Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished out of Hicks landing Yesterday from 8-till about 2pm. Caught plenty of bait around the swamp inlets. Had a slow day lots of wind. Lost three big fish. My son lost two at the boat both fish well over 30# . Considering he is only 9 he did a great job getting them to the boat. After that dad hung a big one and lost it in the trees. We caught a lot of smaller fish in the 5-16# range. No hogs for us this trip, there have been some caught over the past few weeks. My brother in law got one 59# on Saturday. Water temp was 55. Fished with Eels and Gizzard shad ALL of our fish were caught on fresh cut Rapp shad. Ended up letting the live Eels go couldn't even get a sniff on them. Fish were caught in 15-20' about 60 miles north of Dutch Gap. Looks like I'm headed for the James Thanksgiving weekend. Hopefully Some one can give me a few hot tips on bait and the bite.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's good to hear. I did fair last Sat and Sun nites out of Hicks' myself. 21, 23, and 8 Sat then 20 16 and 10 Sun with several small ones both nites. The VCA had their classic on Sat so I figured it a wasted trip for Sat nite but I was not too dissappointed. My dad's birthday is Thursday so I just might have to hit it on my way down in the afternoon and again on my way home that nite. Your report makes the ride to "Dutch Gap" not so important right at this moment. My birthday is Monday 21st with a planned trip to the Potomac for Blue Cats if the weather permits. Tell your brother in law congrats for us all who still fishes the Rapp. Later for now---jonnycat

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear you had some luck to . I think every one who fishes the Rapp has been catching them. I plan to take advantage of it as much as I can over the next few weeks. Sunday I fished 7 holes and hit fish in every one. I can't remember the last time that happened out there. I also have noticed a big improvement in the shad population. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed? Sunday we caught enough bait for 2 trips. Had to throw half of what we caught back and at the end of the day ended up giving shad away at the ramp to some other fisherman launching their boat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have gotten enough bait to fish with, but I'm using small baits. I cut the tails off any shad less than 6 inches and hook through the eyes. I missed the first couple hits till I calmed down and let them take it all the way. Any cut bait has been in 1-2 inch cubes or squares for the best results. I've been getting my bait with a cast net for the most part but I do occasionally do OK with the gill net. I'll let you know how it turns out. Later for now---jonnycat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts