Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lot of fish on the morning crew but about half the fish were throwbacks spot or white perch. We ended the day trip with about 200 nice fish, about half spot. Average keeper spot was around 7 or 8 ozs but we did have 3 ea. 3/4 pounders and 10 or so just under 3/4 of a pound. I fished off the red Barns in 15' of water and around Bouy 10 and the old bouy 9 area most of the day. Came back in and cleaned the boat and went back out again with some friends. Hit a little spot out side the Red Barns and started picking up Nice croaker. Will was a little later than the rest of us hitting the water with his specialy rigged rod "snoopy" and imediatly hooked up with a Big Cow nose ray(on this special rig) which had him circling the boat and was great fun to watch him battle. We cuaght some more nice croakers before heading up river to try and catch some spot. Up river the spot were small so we returned to The red Barns to finish out the day with some nice 1 to 1.5 lb croaker. Id say we caught 50 or 60 fish and Mickey kept about 15 or 20. Mickey had his grandson Kalab (3rd Grader from Elmont) with him who had the big fish of the day around 2 lbs and by far reeled the most fish in. Good guys (Nice to meet a new friend Bob) relaxing fishing and a great end to the first day of Summer. For you guys out there debating buying the new fish bites the only person fishing real bloodworms in the afternoon was me. Fishbites out caught me and caught bigger fish. The bloodworms fish bites did great and the Charturse shrimp bite did well also. We had some proto type berkley mackerel strips(not on the market yet) that worked well too. Mickey and Will who are sold on the fishbites and work at Greentop can help you if your not sure what to buy and want to try them.

Have a good one

Bobby

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
Great report Bobby.
Any guess as to whether the croaker are closer to the mouth of the Rapp?
I found where the spot are. BTW based on our weekend discussions check out the site: http://www.igfa.org/

check the rules and the application.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey Bobby,

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you got the summer started off on the right foot, fishing with kids.

Between 11 & 12 worked well for us last week with nice size croakers and some small spot. Blood worm fishbites seemed to do as well as the real thing. I know that I'm sold on using them.

Hope to see you on the water soon.

Rappangler

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice catch Bobby! Keeping people on the fish is the name of the game. I caught some Spades on the clam flavor fishbites also. Those fishbites do seem to catch fish and are easy to store and keep on hand.

·
Registered
58 Posts
See you on Saturday Mr. Jenkins!!!!

Henry Jr.

P.S. The old man has been talking about
this trip every day. I kick his butt every time
in the salt but he swears this is "his"
comfort zone.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jon sorry I haven't gotten back with you as my cell died during or conversation. Yes I am going to do what you suggested and thank you for bring that to my attention. For the most part the bigger croakers are from bouy 12 up river but can be caught if you find Good structure with Deep water nearby other places but the numbers are way better up river. I will proably run upriver Sat and Sunday if I have any trouble catching first thing in the morning. I'll give you a shout Rappangler if I do make the trip up.
BT heard them smaller spades are moving in to Wolftrap and the Cell. I had too hard a time catching spades to try to use the fish bites but Im sure they would work. I was telling some guys the other day that were going to cape charles to tog fish and couldn't find any bait about you catching tog on fish bites. If you ever need some company on the boat call me Im a good student/mate and would love to get some pointers from you.

Well guys I've got charters Thurs and Friday afternoons this week and will be running Sat and Sun. Will Try to give a quick post Fri morning on Thursday's trip and hope to see some of you on the water. Im going to try and post some pics later and reports of yestedays trip 9 or so tonight on my website for you guys that work and internet fish during the week.

Henry Jr looking fwd to you and your Dad's trip Sat. Ive got 6 or 7 packs of those fish bites to try. You might be in trouble if your dad brings that Lucky stiff back (Spot Catching Rod) rod of his.

Have a good one

Bobby

1 - 6 of 6 Posts