Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after catching tog, trout, blues, rock and spades at the cell Monday and Tues of last week with two citations Neither mine it was a little hard to return to the river to CROAKER Fish but I did. Crew Thursday caught 250 plus nice croakers with about 30 ok spot and 20 number 1 spot mixed in. Saturday we were pushing the 300 mark with 100 of the fish being spot and bout 30 or so being number 1s. Sunday was a 3 person crew and they had about 125 with nice spot but ony about 15 of them. Im still fishing between Waterview and Red barns and catching all the fish you want. Croakers are giving me a break and eating squid but still like bloodworms we used 40 dozen on 3 trips. Spot would hit fish bites but not like the reel thing. Last bottom fishing trip for a while is the 23rd hope to be moved back to Deltaville for a few weeks to get after the spades and flounder. Looking foward to that move and fishing with my Deltaville buddies for a while. Will be working on a new Wreck anchor for the Mister J's Pleasure as Henry VanGils "Tammy's Rival" has my old one and the Spade fish Bug( He had the Spade Citation Last week)He's going after them again tommorow. Them store bought wreck anchors look nice but dont have enough yomp to keep me secured. You guys turn up that flounder bite if you would and I'll see ya by the end of the month maybe sooner as Josh(Jr.) is bugging me every day to move to Detalville. He's upset Herny and Wayne (buddie who cauth the 32" Trout) have a paper this year and he doesn't. Henry and I have created a rod hogging paper monster that will put tennis shoe marks across your back getting to a bent over rod. Were trying to polish up is fishing itiquette but are finding it a hard job and have to send him down to the brig (cabin) sometimes to get his attitude straight. Ive warned him about the Spades but their a fish you have to experience to believe.

Have a good one and see you Deltaville Guys and Gals soon

Bobby

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
Lookin' forward to you moving downstream, Bobby. Always nice to have an expert in catching (versus fishin') down in the area.

Question.... Didn't you say you were going to do some research on colored Crab Pots or Minnow traps?
What was the result?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jon I never got a red pot but the Yellow pot caught best in the spring while the regular Black coated pot and the galv Wire pot seem to be catching better right now. Glad you reminded me so I can try red pot. Im getting about a doz nice crabs a day out of 3 pots in my slip if I bait them fresh every day(Croaker spot carcasses) and Im catching some some nice crabs mostly Jimmies. Did you see the arctical in the local paper about the crab that was caught in Deltaville that was both male and female? I think it was the first one caught since like 1962. One blue claw one red and a funny looking mixed up apron. Hey thanks for the email on Mars looking fwd to seeing that in Aug.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It was great seeing you on the water Bobby. We did not do that bad. We caught about 60 or so nice croakers and some small spots and white perch. I plan to try again next Saturday. I am trying to catch enough fish for a small cookout for my office. I want to get out in the Bay after the 26th. I have only been out twice this year. Once in Md and once in Va. So it was a treat for me to get out this weekend. I should be down to Deltaville by the end of the month fishing from there. I lok for ward to seeing everyone then.

WaveJumper
The other Mac

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mac my oldest girl Graduates HS next Sat so no fishing for me until maybe Sun. It was great seeing you and we will definitely have to team up around the end of the month.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hunter we were out from 6:30 until 3:30 and the tide changed around 11am. Best Spot bite was on incoming tide and croakers didn't matter. Hour before and after tide change was a little slow but I find that to be normal for me anyways.Croakers far from boat for most part and spot bottom bouncing at boat.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
Bobby, I always heard that spot didn't like a moving bait. That's why we always anchor for spot but drift for croaker. Are you really bouncing the bait for spot? Is there a technique?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jon there are 3 or 4 ways I fish for spot one of them is bottom bouncing where if I can get the fish to the boat I drop straight down and bounce the sinker up and down on the bottom(have to keep hitting bottom) lifting it about 1 to 3 inches on a one second iterval(change interval and let sit every now and then until you find what they like) fish will normally hit it while moving and you have to get the feel for the hit if the line goes slack(he hits it on the fall). Hard bottoms light lines and light sinkers (1 to 2 oz) work best for me if Im doing this. I should start catching some 1 plus pounders in a couple of weeks and Im so busy I can't make promises but will try to get you and Cindy out there with Josh and I and show you how Im fishing first hand one afternoon. Keep fishing those far off lines and not moving them and when you catch a spot a lot of times part of the school will follow him to the boat and stay there. Once you get them to the boat the main thing is to keep lines and bait in the water to keep them there. Any time you hear of great spot numbers out of me you can bet 75 plus% were caught bottom bouncing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Bobby-we'll all be lookin' for you downriver shortly. That Henry's a fishin' fool if I ever saw one. Curt caught a paper Spade at the Range Light (10 Lbs.+) last week and gave us about a pound of filets. Had never eaten them before but after Sunday's fry-we might try fishin for for some of those rascals too.

Mac & Sherry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts