Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if you've been checking out my website you already know we've been burning up the 1/2 plus pound Spot. Because others have not been catching well I didn't want to boost up a bite that maybe only I was on but Ive got to believe others are catching as my numbers over the last 5 trips have been too good to be true(2000 plus fish in 10 days). Yesteday I ran an half day afternoon charter and we caught over 400 spot and had 5 keeper trout. Ive been catching all my fish between Lagrange Creek and Waterview and all have come off of ledges or humps near deep water in 17 to 20 feet of water. Some things I think are keeping me in the fish are targeting the above conditions, Bottom bouncing and keeping plenty of bait in the water. I make the charters keep at least 1 line in the water all the time as we seem to pull schools of fish to us and if I can keep a fish on or bait down there for them the school will stay with me. It been a hard thing to do as many times eveyone is hooked up and wanting to get their fish in. I've been ask about bottom bounicing. All bottom bouncing is is jigging the bottom rig up and down off the bottom about 1 to 2 inches. I play with it a little but a fast bounce most of the time produces better. Hope this is helpful to you spot chasers out there and as this board seems to be becoming a lurkers instead of a posters board do me a favor and post if this puts some fish in the boat for you. Biggest spot yesteday was again 1 lb we'd have had 6 citations this year aready if the weight hadn't been rasied to 1lb 2oz.

Have a good one

Bobby

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mr. J-- Thanks for the info. Your posts are always helpful. I will let you know how I do. The Rapp. area you mention is just a short run from my dock and at the price of gas today, that makes a difference in where I fish.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks for the info. Bobby! I'll test out your methods this
weekend. I don't know about the rest of you guys , but I
believe the Fishbites are Just as Good as the real thing. I
was using both last weekend and caught equal numbers
of fish on them. I may not buy any more Bloodworms!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive got a flat of worms I have to pick up Friday. I buy fishbites and they work sometimes but Ive got a few spots where the fishbites just don't cut it and Ive got others were they do better. I keep both on the boat but prefer real bloodworms if I have to choose.
Nice Website Rappahannock Man. Checked it out yesteday. Where are you running out of? I keep a slip in broad creek though I haven't used it this summer due to great bite upriver but will be fishing out of it Rockfish season. Might run into you out there.

Bobby

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Henry Jr call me so I can get that date you wanted in Sept and if you want to go now call me tonight. Promised this Sat to Dad and Josh(just last night) as I haven't taken them fishing in 2 weeks but am open this or next Sunday. Im not sure whats going to happen with the Huricaine next week but it could mess up this bite if it somehow gets to us. They might outlaw me with the catch your crew might make. Tell Henry Sr I said Hi.

Bobby

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agree with the effectiveness of the Fishbites. I have experimented with squid, eel, and bloodworm Fishbites fished intemittently with live bloodworms and frozen squid--the bloodworm Fishbites consistently caught more fish on tandem bottom rigs.
Thanks for the bounce technique--I'll try it this weekend.

·
Registered
664 Posts
As I reported on another thread. We fished the SPIKE today from 10am to around 12 noon. Each of us put a real Bloodworm on one hook and a Bloodworm Fishbite on the other. Everyone caught just as many on one bait as the other. It was a 50/50 bite. We ran out of Bloodworms (J&W Seafood had no real Bloodworms today) then started using Night Crawlers. Bite never slowed down. The Night Crawler stayed on the hook much better than the Bloodworms. We caught 48 spot, 6 trout, 5 croakers. Considering the heat we did ok.
Bubba[angel][angel][angel]

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks for the report - looks like I may have a no fishing weekend as we have people coming in form out of town and the list is looking very long right now - argggggg.

Please post so I can make it !

Feeshon

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
[Q]little bubba originally wrote:
Each of us put a real Bloodworm on one hook and a Bloodworm Fishbite on the other. Everyone caught just as many on one bait as the other. It was a 50/50 bite.
[/Q]and when you consider that one can catch two, three or even four fish without changing Fishbytes, it becomes a no-brainer.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Im not knocking on the fishbites I use them too but you guys using bloodworms use the hooks that have the 2 little barbs on the hook shank you'll loose less bloodworms than if you use the slick shank and stretch em a little futher. The guys fishing with me exspect to catch big numbers so I fish with the best bait to gain every advantage I can but another decent bait and a money saving trick is to get sqiud and dye it with food coloring red. Cut it into little 1/8 by 1 inch pieces and it will catch spot pretty well also.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Before going out spot fishing last week, I cut-up one package of bloodworms "bagofworms" and was able to get 84 baits from the package. Fishing with only this, we returned with 104 spot, several nice perch, and released probably a couple dozen smallish spot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use whatever catches the most fish that day.
That is usually bloods. But I make sure that I
bring more than one type of bait cuz you never
know what they might want more at any specific time.

Believe me, I wish that fishbites worked as well
as bloods for me, but they do not. Just my .02

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.