Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a trip on the Rappahanock Sunday evening. Managed to catch one 36# blue and one dink. The water was still a little muddy and lots of debris in the river. My son managed to catch about 15 white perch ranging any where from 6-10 inches all were caught on blood worms. Water temp was 61 caught the blue on a big gizzard shad head in about 9' of water no action at all on the drop offs or deep structure. The flats with cover seemed the place to be. Gonna have to get out again this week had lots of fun spending time with the boy he thought he was the king catching those perch while dad struggled for one big one. Good luck and tight lines to all !

·
Registered
766 Posts
My dad lives on the Rapp and he just this side of #8 Red Bouy. Small cats up to 5 lbs at most have been caught with regularity. Hello this is SALTWATER, what's up ??? I have wanted to fish for Cats on the Rapp but when the James is 2 miles from my front door, hard to travel that far for 10 pounders. Which bouy were you near when you landed the 36#. that's awesome considering most people have nothing good to say about the Rapp as far as cats are concerned. Good job - call if you need a partner as I'm right there - striperjoe [smile]

Tired of spot and croaker on the Rapp, but love pullin' in the big cats, just never tried it yet on the Rapp - good report dude !

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The portion of river I fished Sunday there are no bouy's . Once you get far enough up river the channel is un-marked. Bouy # 8 is really far down the river from where most of the big cats are caught , I would even say thats to far down river to catch any thing decent. There is a really long stretch of river that holds big fish . Starting on the main river at fones cliffs and running almost all the way up to Fredericksburg. The key on the rapp is patience a lot of guys buy their bait and run right out and start fishing their favorite hole often that approach works but not every time. I always spend the first 2-3 hours scanning for bait and structure when I find something I like I mark it with gps and go back to it after I catch my bait . There are still plenty of big fish on the Rapp but they are very scattered I beleive this is due to the abundance of structure on the river bottom. Despite their best effort the trot liners didn't get them all. Striperjoe where do you launch your boat on the Rapp? I would be happy to help you anytime.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
StriperJoe - Croaker are in the Rapp and I might go soon. Maybe I should look your Dad! Does he do any croaker guiding?!?!?!?!?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts