Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were between White stone Bridge and Buoy 8 trolling with stretch and tandem rigs. Caught 6 fish between 32 and 35 inches. Rods were going down all over the back of the boat for hour or so. It was a great day in the River!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Nice going! Plenty of nice fish in the middle bay region this year even with abnormally warm temps. Hope that is a good sign for the Spring season.

·
Registered
544 Posts
When? Yesterday or today? And, which side, N Neck or Middlesex, and in what depth, and what time frame of the day?

Just curious!

Good going,

R

·
Registered
213 Posts
My trip on Saturday revealed menhaden as big as an adult male hand inside the stomach of the 28" & 29" Rock. Makes me wonder if they are staying up the Bay for the more plentiful Maryland waters.

Beautiful catch. Glad you had a blast out there!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
There is a massive school of menhaden in the Rapp above the bridge that I believe have collected back up the river from the bay because the water in the river is 3-4 degrees warmer than the bay. I also believe that means that there is still plankton and stuff coming down the river on which they are feeding on... Strange year. Makes it hard to catch fish that are full to the gills with shrimp, menhaden, glass minnows, anchovies, and all the other little snacks with little to no effort expended.

R

·
Registered
544 Posts
Dang! Where are all of our natural world experts??? I figured my assumptions on the menhaden school would trigger some chatter??? I am serious, Saturday evening around 4:15 or so, I was making my way back to BEST from up river and trolled right on top of about 50 or so loons and, when I realized what all the splashing and commotion was, I looked down directly off the starboard side of my boat and saw a white flash. I kept watching and I realized it was a 9" menhaden that was in the beak of a loon that was surfacing to swallow about 8' off my boat. There were a dozen of them directly under me and, with the water being as clear as it is, I could see them clearly 8-10' down as they scattered to in an effort to surface away from the boat. That's when the fish finder when ape nutz and started marking the menhaden school. Just like others have said, marked 50 fow as 10' for a good couple of minutes then eased off and found bottom. About 20 seconds later up it came again and I traveled about 200 yards before it found bottom again. It did this over and over until I moved towards shore and got into 35 fow.

Next day, same thing off 6 in the top of the 60' trench. Acted like I was marking fish at a constant 20 fow. On closer inspection, I realized it was only marking the top 3'oif fish and then it fizzled out till it showed the bottom. The school was about 30' deep and 10' off the bottom. This went on for 500 yards.

So, I figure that many menhaden must be filtering a sh_t ton of water to feed and there must be feed for them or they wouldn't be there... Usually the plankton and algae they feed on would be mostly nonexistent if the water temps were where they normally would be this time of year (low 40's).

So, what say our resident experts???

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Dang! Where are all of our natural world experts??? I figured my assumptions on the menhaden school would trigger some chatter??? I am serious, Saturday evening around 4:15 or so, I was making my way back to BEST from up river and trolled right on top of about 50 or so loons and, when I realized what all the splashing and commotion was, I looked down directly off the starboard side of my boat and saw a white flash. I kept watching and I realized it was a 9" menhaden that was in the beak of a loon that was surfacing to swallow about 8' off my boat. There were a dozen of them directly under me and, with the water being as clear as it is, I could see them clearly 8-10' down as they scattered to in an effort to surface away from the boat. That's when the fish finder when ape nutz and started marking the menhaden school. Just like others have said, marked 50 fow as 10' for a good couple of minutes then eased off and found bottom. About 20 seconds later up it came again and I traveled about 200 yards before it found bottom again. It did this over and over until I moved towards shore and got into 35 fow.

Next day, same thing off 6 in the top of the 60' trench. Acted like I was marking fish at a constant 20 fow. On closer inspection, I realized it was only marking the top 3'oif fish and then it fizzled out till it showed the bottom. The school was about 30' deep and 10' off the bottom. This went on for 500 yards.

So, I figure that many menhaden must be filtering a sh_t ton of water to feed and there must be feed for them or they wouldn't be there... Usually the plankton and algae they feed on would be mostly nonexistent if the water temps were where they normally would be this time of year (low 40's).

So, what say our resident experts???
I just figured that pod of menhaden were smarter than average and were just staying above the bridge where Omega is not allowed to go:)):))
I actually do not really know exactly what Omega restrictions are relative to the Rapp but always heard they could not go past the bridge.

·
Registered
544 Posts
They are not allowed to catch above bridge, which is ridicules enough,but, their partners-in-crime (snapper rigs < 70 ton) can net them up to Towels Pt. and drag them back to the 100 ton Blue Hull Rapers below the bridge and not be in violation.

It's unbelievable!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts