Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best public ramp for access to the Rapp.? I used to use the Belle Isle ramp, but they close at sunset and I don't like to be locked in. I'm interested in putting in at or near the Whitestone Bridge and also another location nearer to Tappahannock. There used to be a shell ramp in Morattico but it's gone due to development. It was difficult to pull out of anyway.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
There used to be a public ramp on the Tatusky Creek at the Rt. 360 bridge. I'm fairly certain it was there last year. From the ramp its about a 10 minute boat ride to the river and that puts you out at the power lines directly across the river from Whares Warf.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
They're working on the Mill Creek ramp as we speak.
Contractor has cleared the channel, is repairing the walkway and replacing the breakwater. (Check for other posts)
Only challenge will be parking because it is a really popular ramp.

Check for Wake VA on a real map or Waken in the ADC Chesapeake Bay chart book. Right near Hartfield and within view of the bridge.

·
240 Posts
BTW I believe there's a public ramp in Tapp and several public ramps between the Rt 3 bridge and Rt 360 bridge. Don't know the quality of any of them.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Locklie's Marina near the Topping side of the Whitestone Bridge is a great place to launch. Not free, but reasonable, and very secure. They've got bait, ice, and usually very good fishing reports.

·
397 Posts
Don't know when it will be finished, but I saw them putting a ramp in at the Urbanna town marina.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are two ramps in Tappahannock....June Parker Marina is 10$...( north end of town off rt.17)...public ramp on Hoskins Creek is free( south of town off 17)..................rolf

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try the ramp at Simonson in Richmond Co. You an go either way , north or south . It is about half way between Tapahannock and Whitestone.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I put in at Chesepeake Boat basin in Kilmarnock. Ramp fee is $6. Not big but good location(indian creek). Any questions i can give more details.

Peps

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes there is a ramp at Grey's Point Camp. Ramp is good but there is no parking at the ramp. You need to take vehicle and trailer back up the hill and park in the field. It can get busy on holiday weekends.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My preacher and I decided to fish for hardheads today after hearing that they were back. Put in at Garrett's marina for the first time - $15 ramp fee for a pretty poor ramp (uneven retrieve). No bait there either. We got into some nice 1-2 lb. croakers at the oyster grounds just out of Whalen's Marina and also fished the green buoy on the opposite side of the river. Some fish also hit at the Morattico shell bank but not as many as is typical.

Caught just as many catfish of 14-20 inch size, probably 15- 20 in all. I'm still fishing blind with no finder (it's kaput) so I was glad to catch anything. Very pleasant day on the Rapp with very few other boats. We had good luck with peelers and squid. Many thanks to the kind lady at Whalen's that opened up the ship's store and sold us the squid! Thanks also to the couple that sold us 1/2 dozen peelers out of their private trap. Folks are just nice people out there on Northern Neck.

Thanks for the help with the ramp suggestions. I believe I'll use the Belle Isle ramp after today's windy ramp episode.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts