Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the middle Rappahannock River June 6 catching flounder, reds, specks, striper, perch and bluefish on spinning gear with plastics and on the fly. WT was upper 70's with reds being the most prevalent biters. Could be a good year for redfish in the skinny water this year.

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fyi, SlateDog's report made me try the same general area on Sunday. Couldn't find any grass beds, but worked a shoreline area where there was 3-5 ft depth within a cast of shore, and got 18 and 20 inch pups, along with 4 sublegal stripers and several white perch, in about 3 hours of fishing. All on chartreuse Gulp. Thank you SD!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fyi, SlateDog's report made me try the same general area on Sunday. Couldn't find any grass beds, but worked a shoreline area where there was 3-5 ft depth within a cast of shore, and got 18 and 20 inch pups, along with 4 sublegal stripers and several white perch, in about 3 hours of fishing. All on chartreuse Gulp. Thank you SD!
Good job. A 20" or even larger pup on light tackle is a real blast (I use a 2500 class Stradic reel with 15 pound braid on a 6'6" medium power fast or very fast action rod a lot of the times).

Last year the specks were abundant in the middle Rapp with reds less so for me. I did catch a few really decent ones in late fall last year but also a ton of specks. This year I am seeing the reds are showing in numbers like they were 3-4 years ago when they were lurking everywhere. If you find an area that has deep(er) channel water near any kind of structure (wood, concrete, rip-rap, etc.) you have a good chance at them it seems this year. Every year brings a different mix and abundance of fish except for large skinny water striper which are always stressed it seems. The rays this year are huge and everywhere and are not hesitating to slam a lure too. They are a pain really. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rays, that's all I have been hooking lately. I've been fishing from the kayak more than the boat. A ray on an ultralight while in a 45 lb. kayak is like taking a 30 minute bus ride and you ain't the driver

1 - 10 of 10 Posts