Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son Joel and his friend Tom took the Key West Sportsman out and worked some our favorite flats and skinny water spots as well as some deep(er) water structure on Saturday using Gulp Alive artificial baits on light spinning gear and the fly rod. We tend to troll more in the winter for Striper but prefer light tackle casting in the spring through the fall.. Worked spots from Beach Creek, into the flats and emerging grass beds on the Corrotoman and Carters Creek and some other spots east of the WS bridge. Picked up 8 or so striper from 18" to 28"- all released. Here are a few pics. Tom picked up one nice fish on the fly rod using a home made fly which is always rewarding.

·
Registered
421 Posts
SlateDog,

Nice post, I do the same with fall/winter trolling and casting with light tackle in the spring/early fall. Is that a Key West 189 Family Sportsman you're talking about? I'm looking to move up from my 17" DC, but not go too big as I'll be towing with mid-size SUV and do a lot of shallow water fishing with electric motor. The 189FS is one boat I'm looking at. How do you like it? Bob

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an early 2000's 17.2' foot CC with 80 HP Yamaha FS and trolling motor. Made to go places the larger boat can't take you. Some of these fish were caught in some tight spots! Its similar to the 189FS just older and smaller. I am sure that boat would fit the bill for what you are looking for. Edgewater makes a nice CC in that size too that might treat you better in the chop and snotty water but probably cost more too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ooooo - stripers on a fly. THAT sounds like fun. I'll have to bring the fly gear next time I go out (this coming weekend, weather permitting).

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooooo - stripers on a fly. THAT sounds like fun. I'll have to bring the fly gear next time I go out (this coming weekend, weather permitting).
You've got the boat to get in some spots where that fly rod will work for ya! Good luck

·
Registered
702 Posts
Edgewater makes a nice CC in that size too that might treat you better in the chop and snotty water but probably cost more too.
I had a 186 edgewater cc and it was a great boat. My next one will definitely be an edgewater also

Were you fishing below the bridge?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a 186 edgewater cc and it was a great boat. My next one will definitely be an edgewater also

Were you fishing below the bridge?
The hottest action was below the bridge on structure. I like that Edgewater too. Seems like a solid boat.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for the input, will check out the Edgewaters. Right now my 17' Sea Pro DC works great for the shallow water, but really hampers me when the wind kicks up for rockfish season. So, looking to move up, but keep it trailerable and fit in my driveway. Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts