Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about any one else that fishes the Rapp. but it seems that the fishing has improved over the last year. This summer has been one of the best I can remember. The river is still nothing compared to the James but it sure saves me a lot of gas. Last trip out we caught our biggest of the year at 54#s and three other fish from 30-42#. At the local tournament in Port Royal 2 fish over 60# where brought to the scales. How ever there doesn't seem to be as many fish in the 10-20# range in fact most of the fish we are catching are 35-45#. May be the trot line boys aren't getting the big ones. Most nights I'm alone out there , is any one else taking advantage of the quite river and big fish or am I alone? All of our fish are coming from the flats below 301. Eels,Gizzards and the occasional white perch for bait. If any one needs any additional info b-mail and will be happy to help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have my mechanic coming by to adjust my outboard tomorrow afternoon and then I'm ready to get back on the river. I have just gotten back from the OBX for two weeks with much success(Vacation OF A LIFETIME) mentioned in another thread on this board. I will be headed south with Majorcat(for his 13th b-day on Aug 26) to try to end the summer on a high note. Might go this week but certainly by next Thursday night. I have not ventured below Gingoteague Creek before but I have heard the Horsehead area is good blue catfish territory. I can get white perch here before I head down. Port Royal Fish House has eels most of the time. I'll catch the shad when I get on the water. If you have any specifics to lend, a b-mail would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot and hope to see you on the water soon---jonnycat

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck hope you catch a few. Horse head is one of the few spots on the river where I catch fish every trip. I couldn't begin to count the number of fish I have caught over 30# in that spot. The 54 we caught came from just up river of that on the flat on the outside bend of devils elbow. The fish where shallow less than 5' on large live eels. Wilmont landing is where I launch from for easy access to both of those spots. At horse head try the first land slide with out going tide....there is a traffic barrel on the bank that is adjacent to structure that always holds fish. If the fish are shallow that spot can be really slow. Down river from there is an old jetty fish have been loaded in there over the past 3 weeks I have been catching them in the hole either side of the jetty and on the flats on the up and down river side of the jetty. Owl hollow creek flats have been good but not great. Let me know how it goes my brother in law fished last night and said it was slow. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I should have known that I would not hear from my mechanic. I will be out on the river this weekend or the middle of next week at the latest. I can use the boat as is but the hole shot really is sad. No quick get up at all. Other than that it is pretty good. Quite a difference between a 50hp & a 70hp. I believe the livewell will ride on the bow and not even make a difference in performance. Hope to see some of you on the water soon---jonnycat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts