Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recreational fishing license fees to get a slight reduction. Governor, Dems, and Reps working together to help out citizens of Maryland anywhere they can. Fee reductions like this are rare, but things like this add up and every dollar helps in a tough economy...especially when fishing.

The recreational community has been working on a surplus for years, and we will continue to be with this reduction it seems. Heck, we may even get more license sales from VA and other states with reciprocity due to our reasonable license fees. Or the theory of elasticity which states that when prices go down, sales go up. Who knows!

We don't get fee and tax reductions to often, well never come to think of it, so let's take this opportunity. Services should in theory stay status quo due to surplus with fisheries from rec anglers.

Call or email your legislator and ask for his support House Bill 459 - Fee, Surcharge, and Tax Reduction Act of 2016

·
Registered
11,164 Posts
The thinking behind the price reduction is they will take in more revenue by selling more fishing licenses at a lower price. Expect more fishermen on the waters. There is also an expected $2 million cut in the DNR budget. I don't know where the cuts will be made?

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
It is my understanding that their has been a surplus on the recreational side of things. If that is the case, the money should go back to those who have been paying it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
This is in line with the Hogan administrations overall fee reduction initiative. Politically motivated? No doubt, but I for one was never comfortable with the increases over the last ten years since the state does so little either on the fresh or saltwater side to improve or even maintain our fisheries. As far as it increasing fishing license sales maybe a small bump this year but the overall trend is down nationally and will probably continue as our younger generations are less interested in fishing and hunting.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
This is in line with the Hogan administrations overall fee reduction initiative. Politically motivated? No doubt, but I for one was never comfortable with the increases over the last ten years since the state does so little either on the fresh or saltwater side to improve or even maintain our fisheries. As far as it increasing fishing license sales maybe a small bump this year but the overall trend is down nationally and will probably continue as our younger generations are less interested in fishing and hunting.
Tough to fish and hunt when they never put down their cell phone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think fee and tax reductions are "half baked ideas". I think they are critical when trying to jump start an economy! Proven to work and when you can have reductions that don't impact services due to a surplus...brilliant!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tax reductions are great when they're paid for. How often have tax cuts jump started an economy? They sure didn't under Bush or Democratic administrations and the old 'trickle down' theory is full of ****! I'm 64 and still waiting for the trickling down to arrive; it's great to reduce taxes and fees but most of it, is all political pandering. The only trickling down I see is my urine stream!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mazatec...fee and tax reductions are actually the opposite of "trickle down economics". The money doesn't go to the "top" and "trickle down", it stays in your pocket!!!
This post isn't about political ideology, it's about the recreational anglers finally getting something. I sure haven't seen any improvements in our fisheries since fees were raised in 2007. In fact, we've seen greater regulation and less fish. I'm tired of paying for more regulations and less fish. Maybe if we pay less, it will slow the amount of regulations coming our way.
I don't know, it's just nice to see fees and taxes go the other way for once!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Mazatec...fee and tax reductions are actually the opposite of "trickle down economics". The money doesn't go to the "top" and "trickle down", it stays in your pocket!!!
Tax reductions are the very lifeblood of trickle down since such reductions disproportionally benefit the wealthy. Having said that, since we're talking about reduction of fees (which are regressive), you're correct that trickle down economics really isn't the issue here.

I haven't familiarized myself enough with the license issue or how the funds have been used to form an opinion. Our tax/fee burden became historically low over the past decade and remains quite low compared to how it has been when we built the major transportation, school and other infrastructure that we now enjoy. On the other hand, the last 2-3 years saw a lot of fees imposed at once in what seemed like a scattershot approach. The last administration (and the legislature) would have benefited by slowing down a sec and taking a methodical, organized, coordinated approach to raise revenue, clearly delineating dedicated revenue streams so that taxpayers and businesses understood exactly what they were investing in.

So, if the license fee reduction is part of a more organized, coordinated approach, then I'm probably fine with it. If it's just a knee jerk reaction to placate some fee payers without thought to the impact of the revenue loss, then I probably am against it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the plan is to have fewer dollars going into the government. Then the government decide how to operate with the revenue their given.

As for the fee reduction. I think its great for anglers!

·
Registered
349 Posts
NY state reduced annual non res fees from $73 to $50 .Buyer gets a full year of use too. I don`t know the effects financially, but I like it.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
NY state reduced annual non res fees from $73 to $50 .Buyer gets a full year of use too. I don`t know the effects financially, but I like it.
Actually NY eliminated their saltwater fishing license fees in 2013. http://www.onthewater.com/cuomo-makes-free-ny-saltwater-fishing-license-permanent/

"I know the recreational and economic value hunting and fishing bring to New York State," Governor Cuomo said. "The sporting community bolsters tourism across the state. According to a national survey, more than $8.1 billion of economic activity is created as a result of sporting activity in New York. Under my proposal, it will be easier for more New Yorkers and visitors from across the country to take advantage of New York's rich sporting tradition."
If you want to get Bush and Miller on board, just tell them that it benefits convicted felons. :eek2:

·
Registered
222 Posts
As a point of reference, attached below is an individual Maryland fishing license from 1960. The cost (upper right corner) was $10.

Over the past 56 years, our license fee has increased $5 to $15.

Many of us probably get the comprehensive boat license that allows an unlimited number of people to fish and crab from our boat for $50.

That fee has increased in my lifetime from $40 to $50.

The average US household income in 1960 was $6671.

The average US household income in 2015 was $53,657.

800% increase in household income during that timeframe.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts