Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I decided to ask for help. I would like to get a boat that I feel safe in while on the Raritan and Chesapeake. I currently have an 18' open bow. I try to pick my days but when you drive 2.5-3 hours you tend to go out even if it isn't as nice as it should be. The boat needs to be trailerable. I would also like to use it around my home in a few smaller lakes so the ability to use a trolling motor is key. I would also like to use it for seaduck hunting once or twise a year. I was looking at the DLX 21' Carolina Skiff's but just don't know. If I was just bay fishing I would buy a 23' walk around. I know, I need about 3 boats. Help!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
If you're looking at a Carloina Skiff, then a head and other creature comforts aren't a requirement. I'd look for a 20 or 21 foot center console. Having fished the Raritan while growing up and now living just off the Chesapeake Bay (and fishing it), I would look fro a center console that had at least a 21 degree deadrise (at the transom). This wouls afford a good ride.

Get a hard top. This will give you shade in the summer and you can rig it with clear curtains and fish for stripers thru the winter (In Virginia and NC) and be relatively comfortable.

This is what I would do with the information you provided.

Oh yeah, and I would get a two stroke outboard. They are lighter in weight for the horse power deliverd and the newer ones like the Envinrude E-tec gets better fuel mileage than some of the 4 strokes.

Good luck with your new boat.[excited] [excited]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts