Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has started. Bunker chunks at night. Clams during the day -- Weather permitting.

I've made 3 trips so far. Each on a weekend, the last 3 weeks.

Week 1 - 50+ stripers to 34.5 inches - Clams, 12 ft of water.
Week 2 - 45 stripers to 31 inches -- Clams(no flounder)
Week 3 - 35 stripers to 31.5 inches -- clams and mussles(yes, mussles while flounder fishing caught some stripers. 4 flounder caught ...

I haven't personally seen yet, but got word today bluefish are starting to show in the back bay.

My best guess is in a week or 2, put away the clams and take out the trolling gear or bunker fish .. it's about to happen [excited]

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was in the Raritan 2 weekends ago and caught 5 all less then 24". I fished close to Keyport. It was my first time in the Raritan and I dumped my chum so I wasn't unhappy with the result.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Majority are those smalls one right now, but the better reports(as of even today) bigger fish are moving in.

Not bad for your first trip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bass are hitting real well in Barnegat Bay near Double Creek Channel. Anchor up and throw Rapalas. Some nice fish but the majority are shorts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[Q]skeller001 originally wrote:
What area of the bay do you normally fish?
[/Q]

Anywhere actually. Depending on up to minute reports. Anywhere from the flats in Cliffwood to Staten Island to Romar Shoal to Sandy Hook. Having other eyes on water this time of the year is a great help.

A 20# and a 25# were caught yesterday [excited] .. I can't wait for Sunday ...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm moving to central NJ (McGuire AFB) on June 1, and wondering what you do with all the Stripers you catch. Reason being, I've just read about the consumption limits on Stripers caught off NJ. We catch a lot and enjoy eating them here in the mid Chesapeake Bay. What I read also said not to eat Blues over 6lbs too, not that I'd want too[grin]. Are the Black Sea Bass ok to eat? Thanks.

Fred

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An early welcome to NJ! The stripers we've been catch are let go. With 1 or 2 making it to the table. We can only keep to fish per person anyway, and our most popular size caught we can't keep because it's in our 'no keep range' of > 28 < 34 ...

I've lived in NJ my whole life. I eat the blue claw crabs, stripers, flounder, fluke, sea bass and black fish. Other than going blind and the constant heaving .. I have not problems. Just kidding of course. The reports are just that .. eat fish in small doses(once or twice a week) and everything is fine ...

I don't eat blue fish either .. [grin]

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have heard if you clean the fish a little better and get all the dark meat out it is better for you, not only tasting. The toxins are supposidly concentrated there. Has anyone else heard that or know it to be true?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remove it just because I don't like the taste of it ... I also heard of it .. I treat like the reports on eggs. Years ago, they were the best food to eat, then reports came out saying don't eat eggs .. I think we're back to eggs are good for you ...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Being new to the bay i would appriciate any advice you may bave for me. I plan to go to the Cheasapeake this weekend but in 2-3 weeks I would like to hit the Raritan. I have a 19' open bow that I close in rougher weather. Last time (only time) I went to the bay I launched and fished in the Keyport area. Should I be going farther east?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, right now .. more fish are being east of Keyport, launching from the Highlands or Leonardo would better. However, in 2 weeks, that can change.

Shoot me an email before you head this way and I can probably point you in the right direction and what bait is hot ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts