Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a manufacturer that makes a pump that will last more than a season? Every replacement seems to trip the circuit breaker after very little use. Could it be the circuit breaker?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Could be the breaker but if you trailer your boat and don't flush the pump when you flush your motor it salts up and when you turn it on weeks later it trips your breaker. Had a buddy have the same problem, also heard if stays in the water it doesn't hurt them as bad. Bill

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I've got a Parmax 4 that's just finshing up on it's 5th year of service.

What size wire and how long is the circuit? Most poeple run into problems from under sizing the wire.

G

·
Any kind of buildup in the pump could cause it to trip. Getting seaweed wrapper around the impeller is a prime example of what could go wrong. Try taking the pump housing apart and cleaning it. If you have screen filters in the lines, try cleaning them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you dont already, run your pump of of a heavy duty relay or solenoid. They are simple to set up and handle the increased load a lot better than a simple switch.

·
Registered
546 Posts
REG

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ON A BOAT I JUST BOUGHT IN APRIL. THE BOAT WAS ONLY USED ONE SEASON, BUT I USED THE WASH DOWN QUITE A BIT THIS YEAR. I LOVE THAT WASH DOWN. I HAVENT HAD TIME TO MESS WITH IT. WHEN I DO, I POST WHAT I COME UP WITH. I HOPE YOU CAN DO THE SAME. I ALWAYS FLUSH THE MOTOR, NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT PUMP AND I DO TRAILER.

·
Registered
546 Posts
REG

SITTING HERE WITH MY FLOJET PUMP ALL APART. LOOKING AT IT, THE MOTOR WILL TURN ON BUT THE SWITCH TO THE PUMP WONT. MINE HAS A PRESSURE SWITCH ON TOP OF THE HOUSING. WHEN I TURN THE SWITCH ON MY CONSOLE, IT TAKES ABOUT FIVE SECONDS BEFORE MY CIRCUIT BREAKER TRIPS. I ASSUME THE PUMP MOTOR IS FILLING THE PUMP, BUT THE PRESSURE SWITCH AT THE TOP IS NOT ACTIVATING, THUS CREATING HEAT IN THE WIRE AND TRIPPING THE BREAKER. WHEW!! IT SOUNDS LIKE THE PUMPS YOU ARE USING REQUIRE A HEAVIER GAUGE WIRE FROM YOUR BREAKER TO THE PUMP. I AM GOING TO BUY A NEW PRESSURE SWITCH AND SEE IF THAT SOLVES THE PROBLEM. SMALLER WIRE, LARGE DRAW, MORE HEAT AND TRIPPING OCCURS.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe it is where the pump is mounted. I went through 3 in a 20 foot center console in 5 years. I am on my 6th year with same pump on 30 footer.

·
Registered
546 Posts
JUST TOOK MY PUMP IN TO BE CHECKED. TWO YEARS OLD, IT IS A FLOJET 4.5 GAL PER MIN, 40PSI. THE MECHANIC OPENED IT FROM THE BOTTOM AND IT WAS FULL OF RUST. THE BEARINGS WERE SEASED. HE SAID IT IS COMMON FOR THESE PUMPS TO FAIL AT THE SEALES CAUSING WATER TO ENTER THE MOTOR OR IF IT IS MOUNTED IN A LOCATION WHERE WATER CAN DRIP ON IT. WHO KNOWS. $225.00 FOR THIS THING AND ITS A COMMON PROBLEM. WHAT A RIP OFF. I WILL DO SOME RESEARCH AND TRY TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING MORE HEAVY DUTY I GUESS.

·
Registered
546 Posts
HOPE THIS HELPED REG. SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE THE SAME PIECE OF S PUMP THAT I DO, OR THE DINGBATS THAT BUILT THESE BOATS DIDNT TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION OF WHERE TO MOUNT THE THING. MINE IS LOCATED JUST ABOVE MY BILGE PUMP AND JUST BELOW AN 8" ACCESS HATCH AT THE TRANSOM.

GOOD LUCK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts