Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues with my unit. It reads speed, compass, temp, etc currently... It was working fine Sat then all off a sudden the screen went to 7000 feet and now read 7ft and looks like a full bait ball on my screen from one end to the other. What do you think it could be? I checked under the boat and everything looks ok and I unplugged everthing on back side of the screen unplugged and plugged back in.I also reset everything back to factory setting...no luck and still screwed up..So what could the issue be:help:?

1. Possible low battery & not enough juice getting to unit making it act up? get new battery?
2. Should I disconnect all wires from battery and retighten back?
3. Who is a good mobile mechanic or willing to look and fix and make some extra cash or beer. :thumbup:

Boat located in Annapolis by Cantlers Restaurant...

Thanks!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Try pluging in another transducer and hold it under water and see what happens.
Mine acted up after hitting some floating landmines last year.
Got a new transducer and all is good again.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
579 Posts
Most likely the transducer. What type do you have? if it's the type that reads thru your hull it may be out of fluid, that will make it do exactly what is happening. Make sure the settings are for the type of transducer installed. If you reset to factory setting you will have to reset the transducer on your unit. Try another transducer to make sure yours didn't go bad. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks....The transducer is mounted underneath, not a thru hull. I dont know what kind of tranducer I have, it was on there when I bought the boat. I am not sure how to try another transducer? Is one better than another?? or Just buy one I guess...dammit..why can i be more knowledgable

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your sounder module may need a software upgrade. Call Raymarine and talk to technical support. They are awesome to deal with. BTW make sure you are on the boat and its in the water when you call.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have the same unit (5 years). when the battery isnt quite up to charge, and i turn on the radar i get a "lost DSM signal" from my sounder box, so it might not the battery. could be the digital box or the transducer. i have a P66 transom mount transducer and just this year have had a problem with the temp sensor on it. it reads like 106 degrees lol! other then that just happening, have had no issues. i'd call raymarine like he said. they can probably tell you exactly what it is when you describe it to them. hope you pinpoint it. please post when you find out what it is. might help a few of us if it happens to ours. technology really boggles some of us common fishermen! good luck!

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
I second the the suggestion that you call Raymarine (603-881-5200). I had an issue with my C70 last summer and after a few questions from the Raymarine tech it was determined that something wasn't working correctly within the box itself. He was very helpful about how to easily remove the unit from it's in-dash mounting and how to ship it back to them. If it is the unit itself, any local electronics tech is going to just remove the unit and send it back to Raymarine for you. Can't hurt. Good luck....Don

·
Registered
169 Posts
Along with the above, I would recomend that you check the connections for corrosion. The "green stuff" on the connectors where it plugs into the unit. The "pins" on the female side...

Also...Check your software version in your unit. It shows up upon boot-up. Ray's site provides free downloads to update not only the c-80 but also the DF module as well...Make sure after updating your software that you re-boot (power cycle) the module too, otherwise the upload will not take...

On the surface, it sounds as if the TD is not talking to the DF Module...I am assuming the GPS side of the C-80 is fine...no screen issues...

The Ray Tech support is great...make sure that you are ready to work with them on the issue when you call.

Good luck.please post the fix...

Bruce

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is a software up grade. 5.04. If you. Are getting DSM lost it is either battery voltage or a connection issue between the DSM and the monitor. On the bottom of your DSM there is a indicator light on th DSM250. See what's blinking and count how many times it blinks per second. Ray marine site has a trouble shooting table.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My DSM 300 was bad. Martek on KI is great to deal with!!! Thanks for all the help and I learned a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts