Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experts on the C-80 / DSM-250 on the board or had this problem:
I have a Raymarine C-80 MFD and a Raymarine DSM250 Sounder. The sounder will not lock onto a depth. It will read 21'-some inches for a few minutes act like it is working and I know the water depth is incorrect, then blank out for a few seconds then back to the 21'-some inches. Keeps repeating, Both running and sitting still. Th:helpsmilie: e GPS works fine. No radar. I read the manuals but can't track down the problem. I factory reset the unit but that didn't help.
Any suggestions where to start would be appreciated.
Thanks,:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Rick,

I'll copy your post and send it to my contact at Raymarine. He is the actual software dveloper behind the E-Series, but I'm sure he can help. If not, he'll help escalate or pinpoint the problem...

Will get back to you!

Capt. Bryan Wentworth
Notorious Sportfishing

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Rick,I know I read last year that they had some problems here and there with the DSM-250.Hence,maybe the change to the "300"??I have a 250 also,Have'nt[knock on wood]had problem yet.Once in a while I will lose bottom,I attribute that to maybe some air coming across the 'ducer.MAYBE mine is starting to screw up and I don't know it!!

I know its not Transducer placement on mine,I installed it and it will hold bottom at 45 mph.Let me know if ya' find anything out.Thanks![Mike]

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the same raymarine C-80 and digital 250 sounder ......never had your problem with it.....however I do remember a similar problem with my Lowrance FF on my john boat and it was a low battery problem.....if you have your electronic s on a separate battery this could be the problem (but probably not).....one check would be to order another transducer and plug it in and hand hold it over the side of your boat.....One of the local marine electronics dealers may have a ducer you could borrow if you promise not to short it out........i dont know about you but I cant fish with confidence if Im not watchn that FF screen....Good luck

Dennis

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
I've got a DSM 300 and They ( Raymarine) suggested I update the software, when I was having a little problem ( wouldn't read in water temps below 65). Go up on their site and see if there's an update for it. If not, send it up to Raymarine. I got my unit back in about a week, works fine now.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It might not be the DSM but the transducer. Try and get your hands on another transducer to see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, you know you need a new ducer.

Another you might try is a upgrade in firmware for both the C80 and the DSM, if available. The firmware can be had right on Raymarine's site.

- Dae

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Rick,

Unfortunately, I learned this morning that my contact at Raymarine has just left to be top product dog at a Raymarine competitor. I'm bummed b/c he was always very helpful to me with adjustments and tips. Luckily, I have never had a problem with the C-Series and DSM250 or the E-Series and DSM300.

Anyway, the other guy I know at Raymarine suggested contacting product support first. Here is the number: 800-371-9438

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Capt. Bryan Wentworth
Notorious Sportfishing

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Hey Buddy,
I know this is apples to oranges but...

My electronics were doing weird things at one point in time. The GPS was suddenly losing antenna signal and the fishfinder was losing transducer reading, but, the units stayed on.

Then I had the engine problem at the CBBT. I realized the ground was bad on my batteries and all issues were solved both motor and electronics. A monster boat like yours probably has 4 batteries with two switches not two like my little dinghy, but, I would at least pull out the batteries and have them load tested. It can't hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts