Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have about 30 heads from old sea witches that are still in great shape and want to give it a try of re-doing them myself. WOndering if anyone knows where I can go to get the skirt and mylar material to re-do them. Figured I could just throw them out, but that would not be any fun. Figure there will be a few snow days that I will want something to do, and besides, time to expand the knowledge base.

Plus any of you that have done this and want to provide some tips, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks for any ehlp.

Tight lines

warren

·
Registered
798 Posts
PA distributing on Va beach blvd. I use rod wrapping thread and a bobbin for the string. Use a piece of coat hanger wire to stick through the hole for a better grip. You can get the mylar at any fly-tying section. The two brands of nylon are carolina lure, and sea striker. The Carolina brand is limper, and the sea striker is springy. it makes no differance, but you have to stick with one or the other on the same lure, or it doesnt look right. Bass Pro has a lot of mylar in the fly section, but absolutely no nylon, or heads. I coat the wrap with lacquer, or clear nail polish, and drill out the back hole, so the ballyhoo beak will fit inside.

Becky is the master, and may offer some advice. Do a (thread)search on witches, and you will see some of the very best, made by her. Im happy to get mine about 87% as good as hers.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
fishfool has it covered pretty well, would add Joe Schutes to the supplier list. I use a bobbin too and add super glue (gel type) to thread just before doing whip finish, no need to add finger nail polish or any other finishing coat. Zero slippage of skirt material, even passes Tail Chaser's tug-of-war test:D

Becky is truely the master, maybe she will start a skirt tying class, might be hard to sell your wife or girlfriend that you're taking such a class.;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
warren.
i tie mine the same as everybody here has mentioned.. i have used sewing thread and coated it w/clear nail poish. its a lot of fun and nothing beats the feeling of catching fish on rigs that you made. good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts