Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to re-stripe a boat? Just above my waterline, I have about a 1 1/2 inch black tape stripe and above that a 1/4 inch gray stripe that runs the length of the boat.

Has anyone redone their stripe? It's the curved part that intimidates me? How easy is it? Can you buy the tape at West Marine? Will "goop" get the old tape (stripe) off?

Any suggestions?
5th (Marty)

·
Registered
14,327 Posts
Marty, If you feel you don't want to tackle this yourself, I have a friend that does striping professionally for cars. I'm sure he can do boats...........Gary

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Marty, vinyl tape like that used for boat lettering is very simple to do, actually looks just like paint and lasts a long time in saltwater. You can remove the striping with a hairdryer and the residue with glass cleaner.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Might need a heat gun or hair dryer this time of year to warm up the old tape prior to trying to remove it. Good luck

·
Registered
327 Posts
it is not a big deal to apply the tape. It is a little bit more difficult than masking tape. Don't do it on a windy day
Uncle Bob

·
Registered
584 Posts
Might need a heat gun or hair dryer this time of year to warm up the old tape prior to trying to remove it. Good luck
You will need a heat gun to make the old stripe come off. The goop remover will remove all residual glue. Clean the surface and reapply your new stripe. More than likely you will have a very glossy area where you removed your old stripe since the tape protected the gel coat. This is a good out line to replace the new stripe.
DO NOT USE RAZOR BLADES

Call the factory they may have a replacement you can buy direct from them…

IF you need a heat gun I have one….

1 - 7 of 7 Posts