Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Eminent brothers,
I'm phyc'ed about my upcoming Deep Drop trip with CaptJim and a bunch of my fellow TF'ers. I've been reading everything I can and talking to some experienced Deep Dropers and I've decided I better re-thnk the gear I was planning on taking. I was wondering what the experienced Deep Dropers think about this???? For reels I going with a second hand Trinadad 30 I just picked up, without a permission slip I must add!!!!! It has a 6:1 retreive and I'll spool it with 50# Megabraid. My second reel is aan Avit SX (that's the small one) with a 5:1 retreive and spooled with 30# Hot Pink Fireline. My third reel will be a Penn 321GTI spooled with 30# braid. I'll most likely bring another 321GTI and leave it in my tackle box just in case of the massive loss of braid to tangles. For rods I'm going with a 2/0-3/0 custom trolling/boat rod built by CaptSteve (of BKD fame). A 2/0-3/0 rod built by Wild Bill that I picked up at a past TriState Flea Market. And lastly a Falcon Tarpon Special, which may be too light for that much lead. But the Avit already mounted on it and I think it will be OK if I can get away with 16 ounces of weight. I do have a 6'9" StCroix heavy Musky rod that may be a better choice for the Avit then the Tarpon Special. What sayith the manly men of the TF message Board????

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Hey GB-

I tried to break that white rod on a 22 pound bluefish on the Jamaica II out of Brielle one Dec but it held up. I am not sure about 16 to 20 ounces of lead and two five pound BSB though. I know those guides will take it but it will be a whale of test for the blank. Good luck.

How are you going to keep from turning green. I know Capt Jim likes chummers but that is a long time to be hung over the rail:( .

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I think you'll be fine with what you got GB. Here's a list of what I'm bringing. Avet SX mounted on a Lami 7040. A Shimano Tekota 600 mounted on a Shimanoo tallus 20-50 boat rod, and a Torium 16 mounted on a Shimano Saragosa 7ft. 25-40 rod. I've got about 30 rigs pre-tied so far and I'm picking up some lead at the flea market tomorrow. I also ordered and just recieved 100 8/0 mustad baitholders and a bunch of Spro Swivels and Coastlocks. Is you Falcon XH or XXH?

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
John I would opt for something about 6` from a leverage standpoint.A few hour of that up and down in about 200`will put a hurtin on ya.Don`t forget a pair of channell locks to lock that drag down on that GTI.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eminent Brother Wild Bill,
About getting sea-sick, I was actually thinking about getting a doctors appointment and try to talk him into a pescription for one of those patch things. If I don't do that I'll be sure I have a new battery in my sea-sick watch and some Bonime. I think your white rod can take it, but; if you don't think so then I better re-think using it. But it's so darn pretty I don't think I'll be able to resist. I have 2 Tica trolling/boat rods in my trolling gear. One of them is a heavy 3/0 class rod and I think the other is only a 2/0....but it's a pretty shade of green.

Eminent Brother Russ D.
I have an SX myself and plan on taking it along, but; it looks a bit on the small side compaired to the 30# class reels or eveen my 321GTI's. But again....it's so pretty I don't think I can resist.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
GB the SX holds plenty of line and has plenty of drag. The only difference is it will be alot easier to hold for long periods of time. These little reels are designed to do big things. I think I'm also gonna bring my 310 Gti on a Mariner rod I just picked up cheap.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eminent Brother Jerry
Are you saying don't go longer then 6' or don't go shorter then 6' ??

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Hey GB have you seen the drag upgrade for that Trini? Carbontex drag washers and heavy duty drag plates make those drags perform much better. The factory drags on those reels is suspect. I'm doing my Torium now which is basically the same drag. 36$ worth of parts and its pretty easy to install.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The Patches Work

GB, Sounds like you got the equipment thing down pretty good. A word about the anti puke patches, they work good but make your mouth a little dry, need a Dr's note to get em but they work. Go get em Bro.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I went out on the 1/24 trip and used what Captain Jim had, about 6 foot pole with Penn 320 and mono line. We used 20 oz all day but wished we had more weight in the afternoon. Depends on currrent and wind. I would have a good supply of 20 and 24 oz. As I learned it is important for everyone to use the same weight. If you are straight down and the guy on the otherside of the boat has less weight and his line keeps drifting under the boat it will tangle with you on the other side.

·
Registered
346 Posts
All this talk of beastly broomstick rods had me questioning the abilities of the St. Croix musky rod I was planning on using so I did a couple of tests just now and I feel better about this rod. First I put 2lbs of lead on the end of the line and it bent only in the first quarter of it's length. The rod has 8 guides and it bent to the 3rd or 4th and only a slight bend. Then the real test, I tied a ten pound bag of sugar to the end of the line and lifted it. This time the rod bent 6 guides back but still not quite 90 degrees between tip and butt. The only problem was I had the line in a choker around the sugar and as it tightened the line cut through the bag a little so as I'm typing I hear the dog in the other room licking up spilt sugar.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eminent Brothers,
I just picked up the Trinidad 30 from a buddy that used it once on a tuna trip and wanted a lever drag reel instead. I need to put some 50# braid on it so I'm already in for about $25 for that. But just in case I'm so inclined......where did you get the new drag components???

And Finchaser, I think my StCroix Musky rod might be the same as yours. Is it 6'0"long with a real thick tip???? I was thinking that rod may be better then the Falcon Tarpon Special. And I've been stocking up on some BIG lead just in case captJim dosn't supply sinkers or resuses to give me anymore cause I lose so many.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
www.charkbait.com has all the parts to upgrade the drag on a Torium or Trinidad to handle big fish without the drag fade they are known for. I think one of the problems with the Falcon rod and the St. Croix are they are 100% graphite. Normally the glass/graphite rods are better suited to this kind of fishing. Alot of people use the Lami Triflex 7040 check out it's specs for what kind of rod is ideal.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I'm very surprised to hear that Jim is using mono. Guess it's the economical thing to do when you have a bunch of rookies fishing that deep and don't know how to hold bottom not to mention that a dawg shark can circle a whole bunch of lines..

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eminent Brothers,
I'm not sure the Tarpon Special is 100% graphite, but; I think the Musky rod is. I have broken off the tips of sevaral of my graphite rods fishing in the cold of winter. So I'm a little leary myself. One of the guys at work clipped out an article about CaptJim's deep drop trips that was in The Sportsman's Magazine, January edition. The article said he uses Penn 330GTI's on stiff boat rods. He recommends a similar size reel with a power handle and at least a 4:1 retreive. It also said he uses Hi-Vis mono on large charters because of tangles. Sounds like he's using his typical striper trolling gear. CaptJim says you can lose 50 rigs in a day, but; I don't know if thats per angler (I can see myself losing 50 rigs) or per trip!!!!! He also uses double long 5/0 hooks and 50# leaders because you may run into a bunch of "dog sharks" that tear up rigs and tangle lines.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Sounds like we are right in the ballpark on everything. Personally I don;t really like Penn Gti's but I guess they get the job done. I'm bringing my 310 but plan on using the Tekota and Torium for the majority of the fihsing. While boat rids are serviceable for this kind of fishing specialty rods like the Lamiglass Triflex have soft tips and plenty of backbone which are preferred for bottom fishing with braid. A soft tip will keep the fish fom tearing free on the trip up. Too stiff a rod tip and there's not give so they rip themselves free. Gb I'm pretty sure that Falcon is 100% graphite. I knowmine is and it's super light.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just went on the 2/1/07 trip and fished with a 7' Ugly Stick with a Diawa 50H reel spooled with about 600 yards of 50 lb Spiderwire Stealth braid. That worked for about 30 Sea Bass and four tilefish including a 15 lb 15 oz whopper citation.

The braid is a huge benefit over mono so you can feel your weight/rig/bites/bottom. Yes there were tangles and yes I lost 100 -200 feet of expensive braid but thats a drop in the bucket compared to the overall total cost of the trip. I think a 6' rod would have been easier on my arms and back from a leverage standpoint but you don't want a too stout of a pole if you are going to use braid. I disagree tightening the drag all the way down with braid because you don't have any line stretch so if you get a huge fish and it pulls real hard with no line stretch nor pole bend the only thing left is the drag to give some before the hook pulls out or leader breaks. Yes I had my drag very tight but not all the way maxed.

Capt Jim will have plenty of 20 oz lead and thats plenty enough. I brought some of my own but didn't need it. If you want more weight you will need to bring it. You may wish to bring some of your own rigs and hooks however I caught my biggest fish off of Jim's/T.J.'s hand tied double loop naked rig and his standard hooks. Good Luck when you go!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts