Tidal Fish Forum banner

Reading the Fish Finder Continued

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Steve F 
#1 ·
Ok- so since the last thread on this one seemed to be a good conversation provoker last time, I thought I would put up another. Again - the unit is a Furuno 582L. I have, as some suggested, turned down the signal level and taken some of the colors out of the return. It seems to drop some of the noise and false returns I was getting.

Fished the tail of the incoming the other evening (8-11) - provided for a nice drift.

Certain areas looked like this:

Others looked like this:

Others like this:

Finally, some like this:

I broke them up for a reason - promise to report back quickly this time and reveal why it is i broke them up the way i did. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
It's very tough to read someone else's fishfinder since some are set up differently then others.

Since you were not moving - a few fish holding under the boat could make a long string - looking like an entire school of fish.

What you see on the finder to the left is history. The far right side is what is under the boat at the time.
The scroll speed can make an impact on how fish are shown.

Great photos - interested to hear what it all was.

My guess - the fish on bottom were 9 to 13 inch Croakers - mostly females with a few 5-6 inch Spot mixed in and if you look close - two 6 inch crabs :whistlingatu::devil2:.

#3 ·
Skip,
I usually agree with everything you say, but I think you are wrong on this one.....
The two small bottom marks weren't crabs,I can usually see the claws with my Lorance.(don't know about the Furuno)
I believe what you saw as crabs are actually 6" flounder that had just come off the bottom enough to ambush a few bay anchovies.
Don't know why the bay anchovies should be that close to the bottom,but maybe the next series of screen captures will shed some light on that.
Wen

#6 ·
Once we can all afford the HD units, then the type of beer can will no longer be in question !!
Yea, I'm still waiting to justify getting one,but Christmas is coming. I shall endeavor to be good the rest of the year !
Wen

#8 ·
Matt, all I can say is when Phill and I see marks on my Furuno as in the 4th pic down we both get excited and usually it's stripers...I have to agree with Clyde I think your gain is still to high I have mine right around 3. You’re getting close on your finder and one day you will be able to see those crabs and flounder under your boat. Thanks for the phone call last night and you know where Phill and I will be next Saturday…….

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.