Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
For white perch any fish recipe will do! I like them filleted and skinned and then deep fried in peanut oil after being dipped in milk/egg and shaken in House Autry breader. They are great fried, baked, poached, broiled, grilled,whatever. Don't overcook them and they should be used within a few days or frozen soon after harvest. They freeze reasonably well but like most fish don't keep them around in the freezer for too long.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My favorite is to take the fillets and drop them in boiling water until cooked (this dont take very long). Then take those cooked fillets, crumble them slightly and use your favorite crab cake recipe. Easy fish cakes.
I also like them battered and fried, or fish tacos.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
Might not be best thing - health wise but deep fried Perch fillets are awesome.

We try to get 10 Perch over 10 inches - this gives us 20 fillets. Learned long ago - any smaller and not much to fillet.

Yes , it is a pain to fillet and skin them but well worth the effort. Once you get hang of filleting -it goes smooth. Skinning is simple.

My wife makes up a beer batter to fry Perch. First step is to wash them off in cold water - then shake off water. Dust the damp fillet in corn meal - then dip into batter. Gentle drop into deep fryer. Trust me - you only drop one in fast one time - OWWWWWW.

We work together as an assembly line to get all 20 fillets in deep fryer fairly quick. The first ones are done about time we drop last ones in.

Does not take long for them to fry.

You can make a killer fish fillet sandwich with 3-4 fillets - tarter sauce and thin sliced fresh tomatoes.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Here's a little twist, but well worth it. Coat the bottom of a baking dish with butter and then tightly place perch fillets in the dish. Spread a light coating of mayonaisse on top of the fillets, and then sprinkle with Old Bay.

Mix the following ingredients in a bowl:
1 tablespoon Spicy Brown Mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Parsley Flakes
2 teaspoon OLD BAY® Seasoning
3 tablespoon ranch dressing
3 tablespoon mayonnaise

Mix well. Gently fold in 1 pound of crab meat.
Crush 1/2 to 3/4 sleeve of Ritz crackers until it looks like sand.
Gently fold the crackers into the crab meat mix.

Spoon the crab meat mix over the perch fillets (about an inch high)

Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, or until the top of the crab meat begins to brown.

Serve with a lemon wedge and cocktail/tartar sauce.

(I made this for the first time a few days ago, and the whole family thought it was the bomb. It was really good.)

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts