Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I am looking for some help/advice/recommendation.

Here is my situation.

1st, I keep my boat on a trailer at a local marina. My boat has two fish-wells on the deck to keep fish in. The lids do not have a very good seal on them which allows water into the wells. This is no big deal when I am out on the boat because each well has a pump in it that I can turn on and pump the water out. What drive me nuts is when I am not on the boat and it rains the wells fill with water. During the summer it may 10 days before I get back to my boat. By the time I get to my boat the wells are full of water and usually all kinds of **** is growing in the water filled wells :52: .

I would like to put some type of thru-hull drain in the aft end of the wells. This way I can leave the plug out when I am not on my boat and any water that gets in there will just drain out of the bottom. I got this idea from Swartj's boat (he has a nice Whaler) which has a drain in the wells and drain right out the bottom.

I am not done doing my homework and this may be an extremely STUPID idea by my part, just starting to look into possible solutions.

Who do you guys recommend to do this kind of work?

NO Jerry I cannot buy a Whaler :D , I am stuck with my boat a few more years.

As always, thank you.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
If the bottom of the wells are above the water line- you can run a drain out the side and make them self draining.

If not - you might be able to gasket them and put a twist latch to make them rain proof.

Be careful draining fish boxes into the bilge- talk about a skunk on the boat :eek2:.

You can also rig up a simple bilge pump with an auto switch to pump them out.

Post some pictures of them- it sounds like a good winter project.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Alberto,
If you find someone let me know and maybe we can both do it and get a good deal? I'm still trying to find a good seal option
Mark

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have the same problem in my trophy

every time it rains those damm fish wells fill with water

There is a pump but you need to turn it on.

It would be nice to have something that stops it from filling or have a always on drain out the back.

You could always seal them up but then you loose your wells:nono:

I may try to waterproof the the skits that surrand them better

vinny

·
Registered
686 Posts
I may even try to run disconnect the pump and take the line out the sides and make it self drainning

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is fellow Trophy owner Ralph :D ?

Mark, Vin
yep it's a 2003 Trophy 2302. I am going to find a solution this winter :yes: .

Vin
The pump in-takes in the wells are below the water line. Taking them out will only drain into the bilge not to the outside. As Skip pointed out, your bilge will be a SKUNK! I know other guys that have removed the pumps and let the wells drain into the bilge, then let the bilge pump, pump out the water. NASTY, I would not even consider doing this.

Skip
You are dead right about "gasket them and put a twist latch to make them rain proof" idea. That is what Whaler does and it works. That would absolutely be great and then I would not have to drill holes thru my hull :eek: . Always a scary thing. I'll dig up a few pics tonight and post them. Absolutely a winter project. I just cannot figure out a good way to gasket them.

I have been out fishing on Swartj's boat several times and noticed that NO or very little water got into his fishwells from overspray. I looked at his fishwells closely and there is three major differences between his and mine. Yeah I know whaler vs Trophy!

1. A rubber gasket (a seal like a big o ring) around the entire lid that makes contact with the deck when lid is closed.

2. Two latches that secure the lid down. These latches put pressure on the gasket to create a seal.

3. Finishing of the lid. My lid is not real smooth underneath. His whalers lid is perfectly smooth and flat on the underside. The fact that it is so smooth makes the seal work great.

This is what a great lid with a seal and a latch looks like http://www.whalerparts.com/Diagrams/...35CQSHT1-2.pdf

I am really thinking of doing a gasket / latch and a thru-hull drain. Since I keep my boat on a trailer, any water that gets in the wells will just drain out under the boat if I had a thru hull. I don't care about water in the wells when I am out on the boat. The pumps work great for that, hit the switch and out goes the water. When I am away from my boat is my headache.

This is an OBVIOUS ONE but...I read the on-line owners manual for Jerry's (swartj) whaler and it states in several places that while the boat is in the water the fishwells MUST have the plugs in or risk SWAMPING . This obviously means the holes on the bottom of Jerry's Whalers fishwells are below the waterline as are mine.

I think I should bring my boat to your house and a few of us Trophy owners should get together with you and figure out a solution :D .

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I kinda remember a Tfer pointing out a Bayliner owners online site.Perhaps someone can provide a link to it.Most likely someone else has fixed the problem.

I'll take a photo of the rubber gasket used on my livewell lid.It is rounded and I'll bet would work for your boat.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Skip

I am on every Trophy owners board you can imagine. People have tried all kinds of stuff to prevent water from getting in the fishwells. One guy even permanently sealed his wells. iboats.com forums probably had the most amount of info but still no real solution. Send me a that picture when you get a chance.

Mark

You bring the beer, I'll bring the donuts. Beer and Donuts I bet we can alot done.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Skip

I am on every Trophy owners board you can imagine. People have tried all kinds of stuff to prevent water from getting in the fishwells. One guy even permanently sealed his wells. iboats.com forums probably had the most amount of info but still no real solution. Send me a that picture when you get a chance.

Mark

You bring the beer, I'll bring the donuts. Beer and Donuts I bet we can alot done.
Alberto,
Can you shoot me some of those links...I'll go to a trophy site, but I refuse to acknowledge Bayliner...Brunswick baby!!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
All the hatches on my boat are gasketed with a gasket that secures inside the rim of the hatch. I can take a picture tomorrow if you want to see how. I'm sure the gasket is not exclusive to SeaCraft and have to be available somewhere. Let me know if you want a pic.

Andy

·
Registered
686 Posts
if you guys can post the pics

I will try the ideas this weekend

and report back:D

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Vinny, Alberto, Ralph (wherever you are) and any other stud muffin Trophy owners out there..I have an idea of how to make it work but I am neither eloquent enough to type it out or handy enough to do it...maybe we could start a trophy group to rival those other boats on the bay...only I hope to leave you soon to join the Judge group...but for now let's work on this!!!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Since you guys called... :D I'll at least chime in.

Most all Trophy owners hate the in-floor fish boxes because there is no easy way to make them self drain. Problem is.. the bottom of the fish boxes is below the water line so you can't have a through-hull drain - hence each fishbox has it's own built-in pump

The scuppers (cockpit drains) are on the transom (just above the water line)- - you can see it just to the left of the fish's tail in the picture above. The design uses that channel around the fish box to funnel the cockpit water to the scuppers. The problem comes when the boat is slightly tilted to either port or starboard - - then the cockpit water (rain or whatever) ends up in the corner of the boat - - and part goes out the scupper and part end up going over the lip and into the fish box. My boat usually ends up on the trailer with a slight tilt to starboard - so sitting in the rain, starboard fish box fills up - port box stays dry.

I have not done this - but I've heard of others putting a through-hull with plug in the lowest point of the box - when open it would drain into the bilge. To me, this would only be a viable solution IF you can get a really good seal on the plug and ONLY open it up when the boat is on the trailer. Leave the fish box plug open and the bilge plug open and all the rain water would drain out. Down side is - you better make darn sure that you clean any fish scales, slime, stink, etc out of the fish boxes before you open the plug to the bilge - don't want any of that smelly stuff landing in the bilge area.

I don't think trying to seal the entire lid of the fishbox is a viable solution because of the way the top hinges - if you've ever pinched your fingers in the side where the hinges are while trying to clean the water channel, you know what I mean :D.

I'll keep thinking about it - - but I'm up for beer and donuts, too :thumbup:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since you guys called... :D I'll at least chime in.

I have not done this - but I've heard of others putting a through-hull with plug in the lowest point of the box - when open it would drain into the bilge. To me, this would only be a viable solution IF you can get a really good seal on the plug and ONLY open it up when the boat is on the trailer. Leave the fish box plug open and the bilge plug open and all the rain water would drain out. Down side is - you better make darn sure that you clean any fish scales, slime, stink, etc out of the fish boxes before you open the plug to the bilge - don't want any of that smelly stuff landing in the bilge area.

I don't think trying to seal the entire lid of the fishbox is a viable solution because of the way the top hinges - if you've ever pinched your fingers in the side where the hinges are while trying to clean the water channel, you know what I mean :D.

I'll keep thinking about it - - but I'm up for beer and donuts, too :thumbup:
Ralph. Thanks for jumping in, great to hear from you.

The thru hull I was thing of is all the way out to the bottom of the boat. Not just a into the bilge. I saw this on swartj's whaler and it works. I am sure we can come up with a solution.

Vin
I really believe a seal like whaler has would keep most of the water out. I have to look at my lid closely again, because Ralph brings up a good point about the hinge. The hinge may get in the way of the seal.

http://www.whalerparts.com/Diagrams/...35CQSHT1-2.pdf

Sincerely
Mr. Frustrated :wacko:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--a small bilge pump W/built in auto with a home made starboard cover with holes in it --small hose to scupper --

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have tried 2 different types of gaskets (weather stripping, and the seal that is inside a car door) with adhesive (because the lid is too thin for a screw) and they last for a month or two but always come off in the heat or just because water sits in the channel. I would definitely be up to try something new. It is extremely aggravating especially now with the low temps I always have to go over and drain out the water.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Maybe I am missing somehting but this seems like a super easy job to do yourself.

Drill a hole, install one of these in each box, and let the bi$ch drain into the bilge to be pumped out by the bilge pump or drain out the regular plug if it's on a trailer. You should be able to do it all in about fifteen minutes time by yourself with a tube of 5200, a screwdriver, and a drill. I would be more than willing to do it for you dependin on where you're located.

If you wanted to get real fancy you could epoxy in a screen so scales and stuff don't get into the bigle.

Every few trips out or so, throw a litte bleach in the bilge to take care of the smell. Done.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts