Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife gave me the green light for a billfish vacation. Mexico, Cost Rica. Let me have it ... when and where. I have never caught a marlin before.

Thanks!
Jon

·
Premium Member
26,140 Posts
Costa Rica is almost a sure bet for sailfish.They average around 100 lbs.Some marlin mix in but most boats target the sailfish.South end is best fishing-north end has more things to do if the family goes.Try this [email protected] or 1800308-3394.Shoot me a B-mail for more details.We been there 9 times-love it and wish I could be there full time. Skip

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Cabo: Strip, blue and black marlin with sailfish, big tuna and Dorado. This is a great destination and great for families.

Panama: Great fishing, but always booked solid. If you want a Big Black or Blue Marlin or Alison Yellow Fin Tuna. This is the destination for you.

Costa Rica: Awesome place to fish and Los Suenos is one of the best marinia's I have ever fished out of. Strip, Blacks, Blue and Sailfish. Awesome place to take the family and there are many things to do on the side. Also your family will be safe walking down the street in Haco. Also Surf and beachs for the kids.

Gautemala: If you want to have many many shots at fish here is the location for your. You have to stay in a compound.

Venezuala: AWESOME fishing and best chance for Grand Slams. You stay in a Compound.

Mexico Gulf Side: Great place to fish and sails galor and family safe in certian cities. Also many East Coast captians are down there right now.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Beat billfish destination is Venezuela. Bar none. Down side is that you stay in a compound. Their is not much else to venezuela. Upside is the compounds are nice. the people their at the Marina Portofino or Mango marina are great. The fishing is THE BEST billfishing in the world. Sept through Early November is White Marlin time. But lots of blues and sails are also present. Best chance at catch slams. Also one of the few places were you could possibly see a slam behind the boat at the same time. feb thru april Blue marlin time. Summer time is sword time. Swords are their year round but most folks don't target them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Jon, Kevin hit it on nail. Those are all great places. All are fine for familys, but when you go to places like Venezuela and Guatamala your activitiess are limited for your family. Marlin are year round in Venezuela. It slows a bit in June and July, but you never know, some of the best days have happened in the summer. Most of the boats have left by then and that is a lot of the reason you dont hear of many people fishing past May. I think the best day I heard of in May in one day was 13 Blue Marlin. You never know. If you are interested in Venezuela contact [email protected]

·
Registered
299 Posts
St. Thomas has some of the best Blue Marlin fishing from mid july till October. Towards October, It is possible to hook 10-12 in a day.

Downside:
Its kind of a seedy CESSPOOL. Like the Times Square of the Caribbean. If you go, Id suggest staying on St. John, and taking the ferry. St. John is only 1/3 populated, the rest is National Park. St. Thomas Isnt Dangerous like -Guatemala-Venezuela- so you wont have to stay on a 'compound' its just seedy, a little gaudy, and the worst that will happen is you deall with a$$holes and Pickpockets.

Having been lived/grown up in the VI., I can answers some Questions.-But honestly, My next trip will be Guatemala, Belize, Or Costa Rica

·
Registered
459 Posts
Cabo San Lucas has some wicked billfish action in October and November. Blacks, Blues, and Stripes. Very short runs and a lot to see and do for the family. The Black and Blue tournament I think is at the end of October and there are several others that month also.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just returned from guatamala we stayed at a place called finsnfeathers it was a very much a first class place. The fishing was somewhat slow while we were there ,we raised about 50 sails and boated about 20 .The last day we had some great action with 3 doubles and missed a tripple. The sailfish bite is very good there . We had large blue in the spread but he was not interisted in our stuff. The boats are nice and everything is included. Great food and great fishing. However this may not be the right place for a wife who does not live for fishing.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Venezuala this time of year till May. Then if you want chances at slams Sept thru Nov. I would not suggest taking the family here.

For the Family Cabo or Costa Rica or Panama.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you cannot beat Cabo for close in heavy duty fishing action. i live there half the year and have fished all over the world and i have not seen a value in world class billfishing as is in Cabo. when i charter i use RedRum. these guys bust a$$ for the fish and have super boats/crews. the other option would be for cow tuna and billfish in Puerta Vallarta but Cabo will cost less. I fish a RedRum 33 Bertram called Nuevo RedRum an all inclusive including boxed lunch, water ice freezing/smoking of your catch, great shimano and penn tackle. tournament rigged for 650.00 a day for the entire boat. http://www.redrumcabo.com/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Team RedRum Fishing Report Cabo san Lucas

7th
Reel Rum- No Suerte
8th
Todd Dodge and his party went out on the first of their 3 days fishing with Team Redrum on Rum Runnin'. On their first day they brought in 2 Marlin. Brent Larson and crew headed out on El Nuevo and caught a Tuna, 2 Dorado, and a Wahoo.
9th
Todd Dodge continued his success with Rum Runnin' bringing in another pair of catch and release Striped Marlin. Reel Rum caught and released a marlin to end the day.
10th
Todd Dodge finished his trip with Cesar and Rum Runnin spending his last day capturing the beautiful sights of whales and dolphins in the Sea of Cortez along with another tag and release Marlin.
11th
Evan Schrock brought in his first ever Dorado on Reel Rum with Omar. Our good friend Wayne and his local buddies brought in 6 Tuna and 2 Marlin on their day out with Alex and El Nuevo. Great job Wayne, see you next year!
12th
On a half day trip on Rum Runnin, Brendan Falls was able to catch and release his fist Marlin of the year.

13th
Our friend Evan Schrock came back for another day of fishing. This time aboard Rum Runnin' and caught his first ever Marlin during a double hook-up with Jay Saenz. Both were trophy Marlin. Great job guys, it was great seeing you. Lucas Hoover and party came down for 3 days of fishing with Redrum and started off their trip with a nice Marlin aboard Reel Rum.
14th
Justin Carrol and his buddies from Fort Worth, TX brought in a nice sized Marlin along with two Skip Jacks. While Alex took out Mr. Hoover and hauled in 16 Tuna and a Marlin.

As the Spring Breakers continue to roll into town by the hundreds to enjoy fishing, nightlife and beautiful Cabo beaches RedRum Anglers are continuing to bring in Marlin, Tuna, and Dorado. The RedRum crews have been heading out towards 110 ° roughly 10-15 miles out on the Pacific Side and are using the temperature breaks in the water to help locate fish. The Sea of Cortez is still providing excellent fishing grounds as well.

13 Marlin
24 Tuna (2 Skip Jacks)
4 Dorado
1 Wahoo

March 4th
The success continues for Redrum anglers! On the 25th Rum Runnin, El Nuevo Redrum, and Reel Rum combined hauled in 7 Marlin managing to release them all. On the 26th Ken Cote and party went out with Alex and El Nuevo and caught 16 Tuna and 2 Dorado. A good sized Marlin was caught on Rum Runnin the same day. Our friend Jack King came in town on the 27th for 3 days of fishing with Cesar on Rum Runnin' and caught 2 Marlin his first day, 3 his second day and another pair his last day. It was good seeing you Mr. King, look forward to next time! On the 28th Nuevo loaded up with 2 Wahoo, 1 Marlin, and 15 Sierra, not a bad day!
On the 1st of March Jeff Turner and his wife caught 2 Marlin on El Nuevo. On the 2nd, our friend Justin Zahn caught and released 2 Marlin on a half-day trip. Jeff George and David Pino released a Marlin and a Mako Shark! Rum Runnin' and Reel Rum both caught trophy Marlin on the 3rd. With the warm water rolling in, fishing on the Pacific side has picked up and has been the spot of choice for our fleet.
24 Marlin
16 Tuna
2 Wahoo
2 Dorado
+20 Sierra

On the 19th, Mike Mafucci and Greg Kelley brought in a Marlin, 1 Dorado and 23 Sierra.
20th, Reel Rum- Jay Watson and friends brought in 3 Marlin, while Bill Cornell came right off the cruise ship and caught a Marlin, 1 Roosterfish and some Sierra not a bad half day Bill. 21st, Reel Rum with Mike Mafucci- catch and release 1 marlin, and a Mako Shark, our first of the year at that. Cesar was able to find 1 Marlin for the folks on Rum Runnin.'
On the 22nd Nuevo headed out at the 110 degree mark, and found 5 Tuna and a 60lb Wahoo. Reel Rum caught 2 Marlin. Our good friend Marshall and his buddy took out Rum Runnin' and the caught a beautiful Striped Marlin that weighed in at a whopping 226 lbs. Truly a trophy size Stripe. The guys also caught 1 Dorado for dinner.
23rd Nuevo- Our good friend Jackie made it back to Cabo from across the pond and had a fantastic inshore day catching over 20 Sierra. Rum Runnin' took Wendy and Mike Dwyer out in search of some big offshore fish and they found 2 very big Marlin. Both caught and released, thank you much for releasing your billfish. Reel- 1 Marlin Catch and Release
24th- Nuevo-sea sick, back early.
Rum Runnin'- Jackie made the early morning decision to cancel his charter, happens sometimes.
Reelrum went out for a ½ day charter and hooked and released a nice Marlin. Water is very blue from what Cesar and the other captains say. They are going up the Pacific side about 15-25 miles. Warmer water has been surrounding Cabo recently, and we expect the fishing to pick up even more.

13 Striped Marlin, one 226lb monster Stripe Marlin.
2 Dorado
Over 50 Sierra
1 Mako Shark
5 Tuna
1 Wahoo
1 Roosterfish, first of the month for Redrum
Not a bad week!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am leaving tomorro 3/25 for Venezuela. Staying at the Mango. Fishing 4 days with Capt. Jimmy Grant. We will be targeting Blue Marlin. I will post a report when I get back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts