Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a portable/rechargable marine battery jumper? I'd like to have something portable to keep at home and take to the boat - especially with the cold weather fishing. Any thoughts or recommendations on brand, power needed, features? I was looking at the one below but just don't know much about them. Thanks - Andy

·
Registered
481 Posts
I got one years ago to keep in the truck for emergencies (not that one but another one less than $100 that was a gift) and its been pretty handy at times. However once cold weather arrives storing it in the truck, boat or garage it weakens fast and needs to be plugged in often to keep charged (like every week or 2 depending on how cold it is where you store it) to maintain enough juice for a jumpstart. Maybe the newer ones might last langer between charges.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I got one from Advanced auto paided 90.00 for it. It sucks does not hold a charge I would go with one of a little better quality.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
for less than the price of that unit you can get a second battery & also a battery switch to install permanently,, no worries about remembering your jump box or charging it

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
I agree with RJ. I have a starting battery and a deep cycle battery to use while fishing. They are on a switsh and can be charged by the motor........Gary

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have gotten 3 of the one's they sell at Sam's Club and they have all been great. Keep on in the boat, truck and wife's car. Powder

·
Registered
622 Posts
Bought a vector a Pep Boys in the spring and it never worked once.When I took it back I was told no returns on electrical devices.I was told to send it back to the company and it is still sitting in the corner of my garage.I bought a vector polisher and got a ton of use out of it but the charger was a total loss.Buy a better brand esp if its for emergencies.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input fellas, I think I'm going to pick up the Die Hard one, seems that it will fullfill the boating needs and has other features that could be useful around the house if needed. The extra battery and switch are probably the "right" way to do it, but I don't know squat about those kind of repairs/fixes! Andy

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Solar Commercial ES 2500,ck around the shops and tow company's this is the one you will see,forget the bells and whistle's,you need a jump pack to start the vec,not to be a flash light,radio,compressor,microwave,I'am sure others may work but I've had jump packs in my dealerships since they came out and this is the one that works day and day out....

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks gotboost - I just googled that one and saw a picture and it's the same one our marina uses to loan out (mostly to us!). Will check that one out too!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a Pep Boys and a Sam's Club jump starter. I carry them both, and they saved my day more than once. I have also saved a few other TFer's day either at the ramp or out on the Bay. I don't think you need an expensive one, but don't leave home without one!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought a Die Hard portable charger from Sears after having battery problems earlier this year. For $100, it's worked great, and in addition to the jump starting ability, you can plug 110V accessories into it. Great work running the buffer and other tools when you are away from a power outlet. It's online at DieHard Portable Power 1150 with Air Compressor, DC to AC Inverter, Outlets and Light "While Quantities Last" - Model 71488 at Sears.com .
Got one also, it works great :clapping2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts