Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the late post, but I've been battleing a computer virus and I finally have my regular PC back. Anyhoo,

Because of Muireadach's post about the location of Dominion Reef and Finn Tann's post containing the GPS number's I took a recon mission out to the reef on the 20th of this month. The boundries of the reef are clearly marked, but the majority of the marked area does not have any structure. I searched around for awhile until I found structure using my sidescan. Here are some pics, the area was loaded with Bluefish.

Lots of lumps in this one.

The raised lump in this one is a piece of stucture raised off of the bay floor.

Probably a billion little blues in this one

Lots of fish in this one too. Keep in mind that I'm also marking on both sides.

Lots of small fish near the bottom.

The was a white floatball marker there. It was named Patricia. If it's still there I wouldn't ignore it.

Now for the trivia. I took this pic in my second season of fishing to bay on my boat. Take note of the conditions, water depth, and area of the bay(I left the coordinates in on purpose) and take an educated guess as to what species of fish I'm marking here. I'm curious as to what the guys here think.

-JB

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Look like gold fish LOL :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Wow. That's an awesome FF. I've got one on the radar for next year. Which model do you have? I have no idea what those fish are, but I will also say goldfish :D.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I feel like a numbnut. Can someone explain what we are suposed to see on the side scan. I was expecting to see a large pile of rubble, but all I see is a little bump or ramp type thing.
DUH yours, John

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Lets see. 51 degree water, 113 feet and traveling at 3mph. Got to be either spring or fall trolling. I would say rock fish on bait but it's little deep. That combined with the fact that you were just West 72A. . .generally

I am going to say it was fall. The fish were trout on the bottom and either rock or blues on top. Google Maps won't tell me if you were on the channel edge but I would sat you are close to the East Channel edge West of 72A and the trout were school up getting ready to leave. Just about this time of year. Am i right?

On another note. . .That side scan looks pretty good. It is tough for me to understand (I keep wanted to cock my head sideways to read it) but I think it could really be cool after a little while. Can you differentiate rocks, from metal, from wood, from concrete at all?

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
That side scan is too cool :thumbup:. Thanks for sharing the photos.I read the divers put the spat on the rubble by hand to ensure it takes.

Those big marks could be early ocean Rock.The saltier water is down deep and the big Rock often follow this.I've caught them off downriggers at 60 feet in 80 feet of water off #78 in November.Great to see fish deeper-whatever they are.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The answer to the trivia question is "heck if I know". I didn't catch anything that day and I worked the area over those fish pretty good. Francis is "right on the money" with his educated guess. I was trolling and the snapshot was taken on Nov 26, 2006.

For those who are having trouble reading the side scan I'll try to explain, but I'm no expert by any means.

The polygon at the top-center of the purple screen denotes the boat. The dark purple to the left and right of the "boat" represents the water column. So in these pics the water column is about 35' deep. The light purple is the bay floor and I have the range set at 75'. So altogether I'm scanning 35' of water and 40' of bottom. If I had the range set at 15', then I would see nothing but water. The sonar return that is directly behind the boat is the newest info and the dark purple(water) down to where it touches the light purple(land) is what's directly beneath the boat. The rest of the light purple is off the the side of the boat, so you get the best returns when you are not directly over the structure unless it is very long and you're crossing perpendicular to the long side.

In the second pic I passed directly over the object that looks like a ramp. I approached it on the high side toward the low side. The return was not all that great because I passed over the object going in the same direction as it's long side. :wacko: (That probably doesn't make any sense) But whatever it is I marked it on both sides of the boat and not much further so it's probably 8/9 feet wide.

In the third and fourth pics you can see that I'm cruising the edge of the reef with the reef being on my left side because the right side is flat.

Francis I'm not sure if it's possible to tell what an object is made of, maybe someone can do it, but I know that I can't.

In the fourth pic I was testing the Fish ID function. The goldfish are kind of goofy, but I was trying to figure this thing out. Also, depending on the beam that picks them up, they will also show up as bluefish. Pepperidge Farm may need to add another flavor!

Hope this helps. And thanks for all the kind words. :thumbup:

-JB

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Maybe this will help guys... if you are the pirate ship:D and the cars were on your left side on the bottom this is what it would look like. It would be the reverse on the other side. The first car on the bottom is closer to you than the second car (behind car).

Photobucket

If you went directly over the car and were looking at the roof it would look like this and you could see the shadow of the fish being cast on the bottom if the fish were suspended over it.

Photobucket

If you look close in this picture (its actually a foundation) you can see the long dark shadow being cast from the wall. This can tell you how high the structure is sitting up off the bottom. This foundation sits 3-4ft off the bottom (I have seen it first hand). The white dots in the middle are largemouth and smallmouth bass suspended. The reason you know they are suspended is because they are casting a shadow. If they were on the bottom they woulnd't make a large enough shadow to notice. Plus, i know these are bass because I caught them that day:D

Hope this helps a little. I gotta be up in 4 hrs to fish with Captain Kyle

Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts