1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about this?

From DNR website:

November 10th Public Meeting Regarding 2009 Recreational Crabbing
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Fisheries Service will be holding an informational meeting to discuss recreational crabbing regulations for the 2009 crabbing season. The meeting will be held on Monday November 10, 2008 in the C1 conference room of the Tawes State Office Building in Annapolis from 6:00 to 9:00pm. In 2008, Maryland, Virginia, and the Potomac River Fisheries Commission enacted coordinated crab regulations that were intended to conserve adult female crabs and reduce the annual fishing rate to the target level of 46% of the total population. Fisheries Service will present several options for changes to the recreational crab licensing requirements for the 2009 season and is seeking public input on these options. New licensing requirements will aid in designing surveys to estimate total sport crabber catch.

Maryland DNR's Fisheries Service Home Page

Scroll down the page, it's not listed at the top under Fisheries News

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It's really simple, raise the damn out of state crabbing permit fees. It would raise more money and lower the catch at the same time.

I think a 2 tier permit system for out of state crabbers would be fair. Price it consistent with out of state fishing and hunting permits. A $50 permit will allow them to catch one bushel of crabs per boat per day and double that for a $100 permit. It would raise revenue for teh DNR and lower teh overall harvest because not all the out of staters would buy the permits.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Crabbin

I totally agree with the issue of "out of state" crabbers. These fees should be raised to at least $50.00...and 1 bushel regardless of the number of license people on board...etc. The fishing license should be raise as well. I pay enough local taxes in Maryland and do not feel people from "out of state" should be able to come in and enjoy the same privelges without the costs. Hell, they currently use the Balto. County ramps for free.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Easier way to get to 46%

I think they should cut the lenght of trot lines to 600 feet for recs.
To keep a commercial license you should have to show proof of selling a minimum of 100 bushels per season. This would cut back on many of the commerecs. :poke1::poke1:

Bob (from VA who crabs in MD):clap::clap:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Between crabbing the Elk and Bo, with some trips to the Tred Avon I had a good year. Not sure what they could want to change untill they dredge surveys and comm. info comes out? Seems early to be writing new rules?
Lance

·
Registered
204 Posts
One would think if they (DNR) really wanted the public to be informed as to what their intensions are they would notify the news media.
Thats the whole point... they don't advertise these meeting very well, and when they do, its usually within a few days of the meetings. Nobody hears about it = nobody comes = nobody gives input = you get screwed.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Come on Spring.

Boy if we're starting the "poking" already, it's gonna' be along winter.

Ah what the hell...................

Keep the female bans in place at least one more year, prefer 2, MAXIMUM one bushel per boat for recs and keep the equipment the same. Catch 'em quick and go home.

Save the gas , make the other half at home happy and still have a bushel to eat.

Oh yeah, that way the commercials can have the water all to themselves sooner.

Chris

·
Registered
825 Posts
I would hope that if more restrictions are put on this winter, the effect would be spread more equitably through out the fishery. Many commercial crabbers were devestated by last years changes, while the recreational fishery sustained little damage
I agree 100%.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i agree also, while some recs. complain about no females to them the lower bay crabbers lose half their income for the year and we may lose picking houses forever. i don't think their be anymore restriction for comm. right now because it will take 2 years for the new rules to do any good if at all. i'd like dnr to somehow get better reporting from recs. so they can get a better picture of what they really harvest, which is probablly much higher then estimated now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
. Many commercial crabbers were devestated by last years changes, while the recreational fishery sustained little damage
Please elaborate FF....

Damage? Some commercial guys don't have money to make it through the winter because of the new regs. A friend of mine has his heat set on 52* hoping to get through the winter with what $$$ he has.
How can a Recreational crabber/fisherman sustain "damage" because of limitations? If a recreational fisherman/crabber has the money to go and enjoy what he/she loves to do then it would be a given that they can AFFORD to do it..

Not trying to bust your B*lls FF, just trying to put things into perspective.

DOGBIG......thanks for the info......
Someone lives in a house with a pier valued at $700K MINIMUM and they have to pay $2 for a license to have pots in the water... that they don't have to report their catch........ Is that a good thing?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts