Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Annapolis, Md. - Today, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's Striped Bass Management Board (ASMFC) approved Maryland's request to extend the 2008 and 2009 recreational striped bass seasons. The decision also approved an alternative non-quota based management strategy for the fishery's spring season. The ASMFC approved this strategy for the first time in 2008, but limited this only to the 2008 fishing season.

"Every year, hundreds of thousands of anglers take to the waters of the Chesapeake Bay in pursuit of Maryland's favorite catch, striped bass," said Maryland Department of Natural Resources Secretary John R. Griffin. "Extending the striped bass fishing seasons increases the opportunity for visiting and resident anglers to catch the big one and support local charter boat captains, fishing guides, tackle shops and other sportfishing related businesses."

The ASMFC's vote today extended management of the Chesapeake Bay spring trophy striped bass fishery by creel, size and season limits for 2009 and subsequent years until stock assessment determines that corrective action is required for the coastal migratory striped bass population. Maryland regulations include an open season from the third Saturday of April to May 15 when anglers may take one striped bass sized 28-inches or greater; and an open season from May 16 to May 31 when anglers may take two-fish 18-inch or larger, only one of which may be 28 inches or greater. ASMFC also supported Maryland's proposal to extend the closure date of Maryland's 2008 recreational striped bass fishery 16 days, from December 15 to December 31.

"We can now offer greater predictability of the timing, creel and size limits for the upcoming striped bass season," said Maryland Fisheries Service Director Tom O'Connell. "Previously, anglers and local businesses were unsure of the seasons' details until just a few months before its opening."

To ensure sustainable fisheries management, Maryland and Virginia will continue to estimate and report total spring migrant striped bass harvest to the ASMFC.

"We are very appreciative DNR's efforts, particularly Tom O'Connell, who worked very hard to increase the opportunity for anglers and charter boat captains to enjoy Maryland's spectacular striped bass fishing," said Ed O'Brien, Vice President of the Maryland Charter Boat Association.

The Chesapeake Bay spring trophy striped bass fishery is of significant socio-economic importance to Maryland's charter boat industry and recreational fishermen. It was recently estimated that fishing trip expenditures associated with Maryland's spring striped bass fishery is $10 million annually. More than 9,000 local jobs are supported annually through Maryland's sportfishing industry. The importance of this fishery to the economic sustainability of Maryland's charter boat industry has increased recently due to the negative impacts on the industry from the nation's current economic situation.

October 20, 2008 Contact: Olivia Campbell

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
----Ele, Got the info on Icebreaker services in your Vette glovebox?

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
I hear about the socio-economic importance, while not hearing about the long term importance of having a healthy big striped bass fishery. So now we are going to take more big spawning (or potential spawning) stripers out of the population?Smart? I think not, in fact I think it's one of the dumbest things I have heard in a while. I also like the timing of this decision, right after the release that the Striped Bass young of the year is down. Sounds like our "fishery managers are about the manage our striped bass population right into the ground, real good job guys, really good. :52:

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
ISo now we are going to take more big spawning (or potential spawning) stripers out of the population?
See my posts in the YOY thread. Maryland recs have been the whipping post for striped bass management

Fish here early-mid March gone by mothers day weekend, we can't touch them until late april. come fall, the fish are here mid-late Nov and we have been done in early Dec. Throw in some bad weather weekends and MD fisherman are really limited in their opportunities to catch these fish compared to others along the migratory run (why do so many go to the CBBT in Dec when there are A LOT of big fish off of Solomons/ PLO? (VA Charters/bait shops/ hotels/ restaurants getting all that money instead of MD) The bay has a 1 fish per person limit of over 28" for the fish in question. Look at the limits set in other regions of the migratory run. (3 fish over 28" off of NJ with a trophy tag)

While I understand your concerns for the health of the population. Maybe the asmfc needs to look to other areas along the migratory run and regulate it as a whole rather than leave it up to the states...

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
We are the whipping post because most of the striped bass along the coast come from the Chesapeake. With power comes responsibility. Also, remember we are a coastal state as well, so any time you can hit the ocean and get your big fish AND we get to take 18 inch fish which other states do not. Fair? If you were from NY, MA or CT you would say no.

To have a season when fish are spawning which are responsible for most of the fish on the east coast is not responsible IMHO. Fact is we do not even know how many big fish we have, the ASMFC method can not tell. So 1) we do not know how many big fish we really have, 2) we have declining water quality, 3)we have a low young of the year index and 4) now we are going to extend the season because it seems to make sense from a socio-economic sense. It makes no fish sense to me and is just a totally dumb idea.

Brandon

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I agree w/Brandon's logic as well

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Brandon; after seeing your posts from N.Y.; how can you deny me a couple more days of fishing in December? I get 15 more days and will probably get to fish 5 or six of them at the most. 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
We are the whipping post because most of the striped bass along the coast come from the Chesapeake. With power comes responsibility. Also, remember we are a coastal state as well, so any time you can hit the ocean and get your big fish AND we get to take 18 inch fish which other states do not. Fair? If you were from NY, MA or CT you would say no.

To have a season when fish are spawning which are responsible for most of the fish on the east coast is not responsible IMHO. Fact is we do not even know how many big fish we have, the ASMFC method can not tell. So 1) we do not know how many big fish we really have, 2) we have declining water quality, 3)we have a low young of the year index and 4) now we are going to extend the season because it seems to make sense from a socio-economic sense. It makes no fish sense to me and is just a totally dumb idea.

Brandon
I understand that there is a responsibility with the fact that the bay is the prime breeding area for striped bass. However these fish are not breeding in the fall and probably actually have higher concentrations along the coast. At this point it is important to point out that a dead fish is a dead fish no matter where you kill it during its migratory run. It will not breed again. During our spring season ches bay recs are not allowed to fish the rivers or other breeding areas and can only fish fairly late in the spawn after the majority of fish have spawned.

Regarding the 18" limits here. I personally do find that an 18" fish to be a bit too juvenile to keep but that is not the point. I believe consistant creel limits for the whole run of two fish per person with a lower and an upper limit would provide for a balanced socio-economic opportunity for all, protect a healty breeding stock by cutting down on their harvest by over 2/3rds, and protect the heritage and sport for all to enjoy along the migratory run. Whether the size limits should be 1 x 18-28" and 1 x 28+" or 1 x 24"-36" and 1x 36" and up, needs to be decided by those who study how these federal creel limits on the migratory fish would impact the populations. Either way these fish do not know state boarders and neither should the creel limits set upon their harvest. I see no need to beat on the MD Rec more while a NJ fisherman (for example) can kill 3 cows per person over 28" and we already have a 1 fish per person limit on these breeders and in a much more limited time frame. (and I am a born and raised NJ fisherman).

Good stuff for discussion. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yes this will result in some more cows being harvested but the fact is, once Dec 15th rolls around, for us, that just means we launch at PLO and run 14 miles to the VA line........I wont get to fish any more days because of the change, so like Marty said, it may equate to 2-3 more fish that I take out of Maryland waters Vs. taking the same amount out of VA waters.......whats the difference??? A limitating law should start with only allowing 1 fish to be taking per day in the EEZ. After all if I can put 30 less miles on the water per day, doen'st that help with water pollution?:yes:

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brandon, I would not worry too much about the poor results of the YOy index this year. I have noted over many years, if we have high water in the spring we have a good YOY index. If we have low water during the spawning time, as we did this year we have a lower YOY index.

As far as keeping large Stripers any time of the year, I do not think it is a good idea.

The extention of the season from the 15 to the 30th of December, in my opinion will not make much difference in the overall population. Not near as many fish when it is cold. They turn to hunting or just staying home by the fire. At least in my area this is what they do.

Ele

1 - 20 of 98 Posts