Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody targeting, or better yet, catching any big red drum anywhere near Smith Point. I know they have been getting them in the lower bay, but haven't heard of any in the upper bay. I would think the shallows over towards Smith Island and Tangier would be loaded with reds.

·
Registered
486 Posts
yes they are there (south)....and around south marsh and have been down around watts and foxes for a few weeks, but never heard of them targeted much north of hoopers straights.....caught one last sunday and they are hitting them hard (the big ones) down on the 9ft shoal at cbbt.....carl

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, Carl. When you refer to South Marsh, do you mean South Marsh Island above Kedges Straits or South Point Marsh on the south end of Smith Island? Glad you got into drum down south- nothing like the pull of a big red drum.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Between Smith and Bloodsworth....for me straight west across the sound from wenona....I'll tell you how they do today, a few friends are out there now

·
Registered
659 Posts
Carl,
Trying to figure out where you are talking about but having trouble. Would you have some GPS coordinates for the DRUM area around Smith Point. Would like to try and catch one of the monsters. With Rockfish season about gone I would like to find something else big to catch. Do you fish for them the same way up here that they do at the CBBT.
Thanks
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LB,

I think Carl is referring to South Marsh Island between Smith Island (not Smith Point) and Bloodsworth Island. From Smith Point, I don't think it is too much further to run than going to the middle grounds, unless you have to go to the Tangier Sound side of the island to find the fish. I'm like you, looking for an opportunity to catch one of those big reds. Would just like to know the general vicinity to start in. I've caught big reds surf fishing at Outer Banks, NC but never in the Bay. We use 8/0 circle hooks down there on a fishfinder rig baited with fresh menhaden. I would think a similar set up would work in the Bay.

Bob

·
Registered
486 Posts
we fish the shallows all around south marsh, it's the island north of kedges straits but they are also around smith and even bloodsworth....reds are there now, but it is really hit or miss....we use the 7-8 hooks also but peeler or softcrab

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Carl for your info. Just one more question - What time of day or night is best for the reds you all fish for? Almost all the reds I've ever caught were between an hour before dark to an hour after dark, regardless of tide. Does that hold true with your experience?

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts