Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sitting in my tree stand tonight watching a pasture field. About 40 yards away, I large silver haired Groundhog is feeding. Out of nowhere came a Red Fox @ 40 mph, charges to within a yard of the hog and stops. The Fox starts to circle the hog, the hog turning to keep face against said Fox. All at once the Fox sprung into the air and came down on the hogs back, trying to get a bite on it's neck. The hog, rolled over on it's back and had all 4 feet raking the Fox's chest and face. They rolled in a ball for 10 seconds or so, then the Fox let out a yip and retreated about 20 yards. The hog false charged him several times and the Fox moved off even farther. I watced the Fox lay down and lick his front paw for a minute or so, then he limped off into the woods. I guess the hog got a good bite in with those long teeth, thru the Fox paw. The hog beat feet to his hole, but came right back out and stood up, on guard for a good 5 minutes. It was almost like he was saying " You want some more of this Red's, bring it on, I'm here, I ain't going anywhere". Hope there's a round 2 tomorrow night, I got front row seats. Good hunting, T.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm seeing a lot of Fox this year, Reds and Grays. When one of them comes in 30 yards or less I'll have a shot if it will stand still for a moment. Most of the ones I'm seeing are right at dark though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was back tonight, I named him Slick Willy, the Red Fox. I watched him stalk a flock of Doves feeding in the pasture @ 70 yards away. It took him 30 minutes, crawling on his belly to get with in 10 yards of the Doves. He kept his ears flat back against his head, and his bushy tail to his side. Amazing to watch this unfold. The grass is probably 8" high, he'd scoot a foot or so and wait, another foot and wait. He's good at what he does, he's patient. Then it happened, he did it, made his final charge. The Doves burst into the air and Slick lept a good 5 feet into the air and snagged one. Ate it right there in the pasture, feathers and all. Slick's gonna screw up one night and come within my crossbow range, of 30 yards. Then it will be game over for old Slick. I'm a patient man, the game is on. Good hunting, T.

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
If you want to get a fox to come in closer just suck air in with closed lips like a long loud kiss. It sounds like a wounded animal and they will come straight in......every time....Gary

·
Registered
322 Posts
cool stories - i've seen many a fox in the woods and along the road but never have seen one hunting more than a grasshopper.

my observation is that foxes [email protected] ass out of dodge and ask questions later when they're exposed to a strange smell or sight. this is unlike a deer that will sniff and look to figure out something they aren't familiar with. this trait makes foxes tougher to kill than deer in my experience.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slick Willy had Gray Squirrel on his mind today.Same deal, made his stalk on the unsuspecting Gray, at 15 yards made is lunge. The chase was on, around the pasture. If it were not for Mr. Gray faking right and then going quick left he would have been dinner. But he made it to a Cherry tree and up he went, a scant 12 inches in front of Slick's snapping jaws. Slick damn near climbed the tree after him. Disgusted with himself, and suffering from the agony of defeat, Slick hunched over mere 20 yards away, preparing to cut a loaf. I guess all that running fired up his lower intestine. But unknown to Slick, I already had the crosshairs neatly centered on his chest. Unknown to me, my left hand thumb was resting on top of the arrow rail. When the string hit my thumb, with all 150 lbs of force, it felt like being stuck my a hammer. When the 100 gr, NAP Spitfire hit Slick it was game over. If there were any doubts about a mechanical blade fully opening in the width of a Fox body, none anymore. Broke both shoulders. Hope the picture comes thru, my first attempt. Good hunting, T.

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's 2 more down there that I know of, 1 Red and a really nice Gray. I'm gonna try and do the Gray with a .22 and save the pelt. This Red had some kind of golf ball size festering boil on his hind hip. Fur was all gone. It's on the opposite side of the photo, not shown. I put gloves on to pick him up. Last year I could easily watch 4-5 Rabbits everynight. None this year so far. Back to the Skins game, Good Hunting, T.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Buddy of mine and I were hunting a field last year when we had 5 run out in a field. I was sitting on a ditch and he was in a tree stand about 300yds apart. Fox #1 hit the ditch and started coming right at me. I let him get about 10ft and he ate dirt. This put the other foxes on alert. They all stuck their heads up and started looking around. My buddy drilled one at about 75 yds running with his 30-30. Then I reached out and touched another that was trying to sneak out of the field. So now we have 3 foxes out of 5 dead on the ground in less than 5 minutes of them entering the field. I figure the hunt is over, pack my stuff up and start to walk out and lo and behold sits another fox about 125yds. looking at my buddy climbing down from his stand, I hit that one with 30-06 150gr. Nosler partition in the front of his left eye socket and came out the right eye socket free handed. Absolutely no pelt damage. When we got to the truck the farmer was sittin there with the Gator ready to haul out some deer, we told him we were conservation hunting and were trying to bring back the rabbits and quail in the area. He was just as happy to see the foxes gone as if we would have had a truck bed full of deer.

Capt_Ben
Above Average Sportfishing

·
Registered
159 Posts
You guys seeing all those GRAY foxes - where are you seeing them? I hunt in Westminster Carroll County and all I see are red foxed, lots of them. Took one in 06 and had the pelt tanned. $65 to get it done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts