Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Having just spent 5 seasons fishing the gulf out of Texas....it's insane how badly the snapper are being managed. They are eating anything and everything and I've seen them boiling on the surface out of season. Grouper fisherman are complaining about catching snapper in 400' of water on 10 pound baits. It's ridiculous.
They are becoming the cockroaches of Texas fishing. I got out two days during our TEN day season...and limited both times in less than half an hour. Sight casting to chummed up fish in 150' of water and unable to catch anything else when the snapper are around.
Reports out of the lower gulf are that snapper are hanging on weed-lines and ditching regular structure because they're so thick.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Pretty sad how the American flag is displayed. So there are plenty of red snapper and people are complaining? Seems normal to me, some people are just hard to please.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Pretty sad how the American flag is displayed. So there are plenty of red snapper and people are complaining? Seems normal to me, some people are just hard to please.
You're not even close. The situation is so complex that it's hard to explain in a short post without making you want to take a nap.
There was a 10 day season on RS for recreational fishermen this year. 11 days last year. Yet the commercial sector gets months to harvest as many as they want.
They are plentiful. So plentiful in fact that they drive many other species off of reefs and rigs.
Add to that the Obama administration's policy of removing non-operational oil/gas wells and rigs from the gulf, removing viable fishery habitat with ****ing dynamite....
The whole thing is a mess. NMFS is using questionable data at best, ignoring input from recreational fishermen, and selling off the fishery to the highest bidder.
Much like Omega and the bunker fishery in the Ches. It's bull****.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts