Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to 3rd island on Sunday, little too rough for me to fish so came in early. Saw several wide bands of this reddish-brown water very close to CBBT (less than a mile north of island). Is this the red-tide I keep reading about? I thought it was only up around York area, not so far south....

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Yes. @ a week ago, my wife wanted to take a ride around the bay ,it was a nice day and I ran around a pretty large area of lower bay. It is not only around the York but runs way up the bay! At the wolftrap lighthouse it ran 2/3 across bay! It was pretty sad to see.It seems to be increasing each yr!
There are other reasons but the main one is the lack of Filter feeders in the bay.

·
Registered
329 Posts
One of, if not the main reason, is the practice of applying manure, (poultry, pig, as well as human waste), in concentrated forms, to agriculture fields... certain days way out wedt here in VA, the smell is overbearing, that is just after it has been applied to the fields. Very very popular practice, most commonly seen in hay fields, using the concentrated manure can double or triple a fields production... not to mention the food grade fertilizers that have been used for centuries to increase crop production

All that fertilizer causes ideal conditions for algea blooms, which in turn deplete oxygen and over time creates dead zones.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
One of, if not the main reason, is the practice of applying manure, (poultry, pig, as well as human waste), in concentrated forms, to agriculture fields... certain days way out wedt here in VA, the smell is overbearing, that is just after it has been applied to the fields. Very very popular practice, most commonly seen in hay fields, using the concentrated manure can double or triple a fields production... not to mention the food grade fertilizers that have been used for centuries to increase crop production

All that fertilizer causes ideal conditions for algea blooms, which in turn deplete oxygen and over time creates dead zones.
Agreed it is a part. fertilizers feed the "phyto" (which causes red and brown tides) which grow "hog poop wild" because there are fewer filter feeders in the bay to consume the plankton that can keep phyto explosion in check.
Increase the fertilized farmed lands,,, you need more filters! Remove the best filters from the bay--- What do we expect to happen?

BTW. Oysters are pretty important filters of our bay also!
IMHO, Va should spend money on Oyster farming, We have the best in the world! And reduce the removal of forage fishes.

From NOAA's website. "Menhaden play an important role in the Bay's ecosystem as both a forage fish for striped bass, weakfish, bluefish, and predatory birds such as osprey and eagles as well as serving as a filter feeder because they feed on phytoplankton and zooplankton at various life stages."

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I grew up on a farm, and most farmers in my experience were relatively responsible with fertilizer. If fertilizer is to blame, I would blame golf courses and these mega-soccer facilities, etc.... Small retention ponds don't stop that stuff draining right off the field.

I have seen the county dump huge piles of god-knows what instead of storing indoors. My pops said if they caught that on our property without a silt fence they would probably hang us.

It's all double standards.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
You are correct. I should not have mentioned just farm runoff. Nutrients that feed the the phyto come from many sources.
Including sewage overflow from major cites- flowing into the rivers and bay. Like Urbanna Va ( they just pay the fine instead of fixing issue)
Fingers can be pointed many directions.. Even lawns! ( I don't use fertilizers )
We are not going to stop all the sources , but we can stop the massive removal of the filters of the bay!

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
The tide has had some serious affects on the tackle shops in Lynnhaven. All the bait, minnows, spot, eels etc. at LBP, Oceans East, and Bubbas died yesterday. The water in the Lynnhaven River obviously has some toxicity. Finding bait yesterday morning in the creek was fruitless. Hope it cleans up soon.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
"Agreed it is a part. fertilizers feed the "phyto" (which causes red and brown tides) which grow "hog poop wild" because there are fewer filter feeders in the bay to consume the plankton that can keep phyto explosion in check. Increase the fertilized farmed lands,,, you need more filters! Remove the best filters from the bay--- What do we expect to happen?

BTW. Oysters are pretty important filters of our bay also!
IMHO, Va should spend money on Oyster farming, We have the best in the world! And reduce the removal of forage fishes.

From NOAA's website. "Menhaden play an important role in the Bay's ecosystem as both a forage fish for striped bass, weakfish, bluefish, and predatory birds such as osprey and eagles as well as serving as a filter feeder because they feed on phytoplankton and zooplankton at various life stages." "

Like Charlie said.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

1 - 10 of 10 Posts