Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have fished in SW Florida during January you'll know that the bite is a little tough this time of the year. Snook are out of season until Jan 31st and the big Reds are few and far between. I fished with Capt. Ken Chambers today out of Goodland. Ken is a knowledgeable guide in the 10000 Islands and the Everglades and has done very well for himself on the South Florida Redfish tour. His boat is a Maverick Mirage HPX awesome flats boat and whisper quiet. We had a full moon low morning tides and partly cloudy. When I spoke to Ken he told me the bite had been tough but that there were a few Snook and Reds to be had if we worked at it. Bait of choice was Berkley Gulps Shrimp 3" the scented kind since live bait has been tough to catch lately. The scented baits down here have been the rage for awhile and Ken told me that Bass Assassin was working on one also. I think I'll dunk a few in Virginia Beach next week for some Rockfish. Fish do smell you know.:D Here are a few pics from today. I'll do most of my fishing on the East Coast from now on in Dec and Jan and come back down here in May and June when the Tarpon Snook and Reds are in full force.:)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Nice Hank,
When you come back up here and are fishing out of Rudee gimme a call. If they're biting that day, I should know where they are.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice to see you had a good time out there. I flew down there for christmas and fished out of flamingo on the friday and sunday before christmas with my dad. On the friday it was pretty windy but we went in the Hells Bay area and caught some red's and ladyfish. Oddly enough we caught the reds by tossing D.O.A.® TerrorEyz Fishing Lures in rootbeer into the mangroves. Didn't catch a single one on live shrimp that day, which was a first. Anyways that is a pretty nice place to fish. We even saw a porpoise, ie flipper, up inside the park.
Good luck in VA beach.
Jason

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hank, times ticking.. I'm in South beach for 1o days starting the 2/10 and in Islmorada for 13 days starting 3/3... Not sure how much I can fish the first half, but have rental boat ordered for a week in the Keys... LOVE this time of year.. You gonna be around in Feb ?

Must Call Steve and make a date.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Echo I'll be coming back and forth all winter I'm just not sure of the dates for Feb yet. Steve's not good at dating.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
looks nice down there Hank, Jamie and I will hopefully get there some day.
Whats the Jacket for ????:)

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jack and JP there called Mosquito's I wish that I had brought a long sleeve jacket with me no bite's just bothersome. Ken the guide was covered head to toe.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Nice report & pics!! Keep 'em coming so I can keep wishing!!! Unfortunatly, we're not gonna be able to make our trek south this Feb :( :( :( But definatley KW next year!!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not that it is bad up here but I am looking forward to Lslemorda myself Mid Feb. Thanks for the report I hope to be chasing Sails and reef dwellers besides the inshore guys.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Capt Skip each time out of Miami the last few years we have been able to score with some nice Sails. This is the best time of the year for them and Tarpon in SE Florida.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts