Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a frustrating year plus with regards to catching a big red for me from the surf. Catching one from a boat is a great feeling, but there is nothing like having your feet in the sand trying to battle and land one from the surf.

Had great luck with the pups and no complaint there, but didn't sniff a big one last year from the surf and so far this year nothing as well. Don't really know the reason, whether it be conditions, bait, water temps, sand replenishment, etc, but I just can't seem to get the stars aligned.

Got some info some big reds were landed from the pier and some from the suds, so my hopes went up again just as I thought drum season was coming to a close with a big goose egg for me again.

Chapa and I decided to go back to our hole last night with Bucket and company going a touch further south than they have before and we could play phone tag between us to see what was happening.

Didn't have any fresh bait, but some bloodworms so I tossed those out immediately hoping for some fresh spot. Nothing for the first few minutes so I baited up my CTS and 525 Mag with 8oz and a mullet head and tossed her out about 75 yards into a nice looking hole with an incoming tide. Tossed out my pup rod next hoping to score a few fresh blues for bait and Chapa did the same.

As I am setting the hook and reeling in a small blue, I look over to my left; see my rod tip bounce, then start screaming and bending over. Could this be?

Immediately I set the pup rod down, yelled at Chapa to reel it in and dart over to my rod. Picked up my rod out of the spike, tighten the drag and slowly give some pressure and it's on. Brand new line and shock leader on the reel, so I felt confident, but kept thinking "Please don't fail me now!".

For about the first five to ten minutes, I didn't see the fish at all, but did not feel like a biter, which had been biting good the weeks before. Finally, she shows herself on the crest of a wave and Chapa says "You lucky son of a $^*%&". After about ten or more minutes, I get the fish up close and Chapa goes into the wash to help assist if needed.

Just as the fish begins to beach herself, a huge wave from no where slams Chapa from behind and down he goes Ali vs. Fraizer style, getting completely dunked trying to help me out. As if that wasn't bad enough, my line goes slack and the fish came unbuttoned in the suds as I am watching Chapa come up from the depths of the wash completely soaked.

At this time, I am completly whipped and I was about ready to lose the fish, so I toss my rod and reel up on the beach and jump onto the fish just as the next wave comes up the beach and soaks my rod and 525 Mag. Didn't matter to me at the time, as I was able to still pounce on my fish and bring her to the beach with my catlike reflexes (yeah right)! Chapa recovers from the wave and we both give each other a high five, as I would have done the same for him as needed.

She ended up going 52" long and had the biggest shoulders of any red I have ever caught. Took a quick photo (thanks to the other guys who grabbed my camera), and took her back out into the wash for a nice release. Nothing like a drum fight, then watching them slowly paddle back out into the depths for another day. Whew, Skunk no more and a personal best for a red for me as well.

Now, Chapa is completely drenched, so he goes home for a quick change and I begin to bail some spot and small blues while he is gone. My 525 Mag in the meantime sounded like a freaking grinder, so I washed it off with some bottled water the best I could and just put it up (Cleaned out later...all OK with it now). When Chapa comes back the sun is beginning to set and he get's rebaited and throws out as well.

We crack a cold one and have a few sips and I say to him "Do you think we will be able to hear your rod all the way down on the end if it goes off?" Not 3 minutes after saying that, his Diawa Saltist starts to scream, so the answer was yes!

Chapa begins his battle, but his fish has no thoughts at all of coming in period. Just as Chapa gets him in the first breaker, the fish says see ya and starts peeling drag again going all the way back out. Not knowing if he has landed a big biter or a drum, I hold back a touch going out into the wash, till I finally see it's a nice drum. After about ten more minutes and 20+ minutes of fighting going up and down the beach, Chapa has his drum as well.

Measured out his goes 50" and was healthy! Photo taken then off he goes back out into the ocean for another day. I felt like **** when Chapa got dunked, so I was more than happy when he got his drum as well.

Talked to Bucket down the way and they had just begun to pick up some as well. Hopefully they will hang around another week or so, but if not I'm satisfied at this time!

Here's some of the fun from Bucket's night down the beach a few miles:

Bucket -

Frankie -

Doug -

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Awesome guys!!! Thats so dayum cool!!! You guys rock!!!! I would love to get my chance!!!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
nice work Hombre' to you & your VCAN counterpart. Just a matter of time. Your boy RH is wrapping me a new custom 12ft heaver this week for my Penn Mag 525 too ! Sure glad the camo guys aint running you off any more ! See you in the SUDS ~

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Good night for ya guys, wish i could get into them off the beach like that but dont have the patience to wait em out that many nights. Good pics.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Nice read...congrats to both of you.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
awesome:rockingreport::bigfish::clap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts