Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
SeaSpider, We fished it and last I heard at 3:00 p.m. the winning rock was 20.15 lbs and the winning blue was something like 5.96 lbs, croaker was a whopping 3.09 lbs!!!!!!!!!! Still a lot of boats in line though that hadn't checked in..........Tom

·
Registered
659 Posts
Tom,
The weights you listed held up. Biggest Rock was caught on the last day (Saturday). I fished the morning and it was rough. Waves were at least 4 footers. Tried to get to Maryland from GW but it was just two rough for my 25 ft. boat. Everyone I talked to turned around and return to port. Guess the big boats continued to fish.
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anybody that took the early morning waves sat is tough. We fished inside the jetties and around the creek up by smith point. Just seeing the boats jump the waves was enough for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey gang for the curious the 20.15 fish was caught by me Preston Amburn it was caught at the bottom of the baltimore shipping channel around 1pm sat. It was a good enough fish to beat my dad Capt. Roy Amburn Jr. out of first place. His boat is the ROBIN SUE chartered by Gloria Green 17.93 lbs. I had some of my tackle on the SLIP AWAY entered in the tournament by Johhny Sanderson. The first and second place rockfish were caught basically right off reedville by my dad and me. 1st place 5,000. 2nd 3000. The charter boat calcutta was won by me it was good for another 1300. All in all not a bad couple days for the Amburn family; shame my sister didn't make it on the leader board[grin][grin][grin]
Preston

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hey Preston, nice job on winning with that big rock. How'd you catch'em???? We tried chumming at the Triangle on Friday, and caught some nice rock, and some really nice hardhead. Saturday we started out chumming between the NN Reef and the channel, but couldn't get a good slick going with the wave action (!!!!!). Moved inside the river a little to try that (nothing), then went up farther, but ended up back in the bay when it looked like it might have laid down a little (wrong!!!!)....caught nothing on Saturday, zero, zilch, NADA!!!! How depressing to go from such a good day on Friday to skunk on Saturday. Congratulations on the big win!!! Tom

·
Registered
659 Posts
Preston,
Congrats on the catch. I went 20 miles into Maryland and the winning fish was caught in my front yard. Goes to figure. Do the opposite of what I do and you will be better off. How deep of water were you fishing? Chumming or trolling.?
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
84 Posts
Preston,
congradulations on your catch
[smile]
after talking with yall friday night i kinda figured that those big rockfish weren't safe with that crew you had on your boat. sorry i missed the awards, maybe next year ill have that peer finished in time & enter the derby.

talk to you later,
Krunch[excited]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey guys thanks both top fish were caught in the middle of the channel just before it comes to end off Reedville we had the boards deployed it was some kinda rough out in the deep; we strained a lot of water Sat. it was a white big eyed parachute. Krunch nice talking to ya the other night. I should be in the area plenty this summer maybe we will catch-up and have a chilly[grin]
Preston

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Preston,

Great Job, I didn't make it to the awards Sat, as I was wore out. After seeing you and your dad Fri, I know you busted his bubble. With all the wind Sat, I'm sure he knew he had it in the bag. Winning fish, and calcutta, fantastic. I know you worked hard for that fish, as mother nature sure was doing her thing. We made it as far as hopper light, and trolled the edge most of the way home. Broke the GPS on one of those waves without a bottom. Oh well, its a boat, something always broke. The Amburns are sure doing it on the bay the last few years. Glad to see your name in the head lines. Hope to see you before the next tournament. Congradulations again.

David Conley

1 - 12 of 12 Posts