Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Reef #11 from about 8:30 - 1:30 today. Things started out very slow, and then after the tide changed it picked up. Caught a lot of throwback flounder (1 keeper), seabass, and a sea robin. Water was pretty calm all day, 78.9 degrees and blue.
Made it back to the dock in Lewes just in time for a major thunderstorm to hit as I put the boat on the trailer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Croix Boy, I was down tryin out my new to me boat Sunday and just got off the water outta Bowers Beach before that storm hit as well. I'm in Coatesville..where abouts in HB do you live? Do you go down often? I just bought a 20ft Sunbird Neptune DC. Think i'm gonna try out some of the reefs over the next few weeks. Any recommendations?

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rookie,
I live in HoneyBrook Township (Not the borough) not too far from Tel Hai. Moved here from Coatesville about 6 years ago. I fish Lewes a lot in the Summer and Fall. I'm going down Sunday-Monday this weekend.
My favorite reef down there is #11, though its a good ride (about 20 miles from cape henlopen). Big blues, Bass, Flounder, shark & you never know what your going to see on the way out there. In the fall I fish overfalls shoals, #8 bouys, and around the walls for stripers. I've found the inner wall is the most productive for stripers in the fall, though the fish are usually smaller. I go out to the shoals or 8's for larger stripers if the weather permits.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What size boat do you have? I'm not too familiar with my 20' yet to make any long runs. I t does have a pretty deep V, but as of now like being able to run into shore within a few miles if need be. If you have suggestions please let me know as this is something somewhat new to me even though i've been fishing my entire life. Saltwater mostly bay and jetti fishin...would like to get out to do some real fishin on some of those sites. I miss the days of the big flatties and rippin blues. Still go down to the flats for spring stripers on poppers...that's a blast. Or usin BA's on the bottom.
Thanks for any tips and if you're ever lookin for company i'd be willing.

Thanks,
Brent

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brent,

I have a 226 Grady... pictured below. I had a 18' center console and fished Lewes & the Susky flats with it all the time. You shouldn't have any problems with a 20' with a deep V. I guess any size boat will work if conditions permit.
My favorite lure around the walls in Lewes is a 7" Chartruess BA. When fishing Lewes I always keep a spoon on one of the rods when I find birds working. There is a 15' lump just outside the Outer Wall which always has breaking blues at low tide. In the fall, I drift over it with eels.
Let me know if you ever looking for someone to go down with.

~ Mike

·
Registered
155 Posts
Croixboy. I see you keep your boat at the same place we keep ours. Great place. Nice and close. We have a Mako 238 called "My Sanity" They'll be pulling it out Friday night for us. Hope to hear from you to see how you are making out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sweet rig Mike! That will be my next one or similar to it. Getting married in two weeks and just sold my bass boat for the 20' DC. She wouldn't go for much more and my vehicle couldn't drag much more. I'm going to try to get down this saturday, but we'll see. I'll keep you in mind for future trips and you do the same. Could meet anywhere pretty much. Would love to learn some of the tricks down there.

Thanks again and keep in touch.
Brent

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
BEAUTIFULL SHIP. Lots of luck with your ride.

On the reef, have you been using the double hook rig? The ones that have a top hook on a dropper about 12 inches above ths chrome ball?
The other hook should be on a small leader tied to the ball.
Up in the NOREAST and down JAKS way (fla), this rig for years has been a real killer BOTH on the flats and out next to and over a reef.
I've wackd n stackd all manner of fish on this rig. For bait, I'll use Mackerel strips(almost any strip will do) and a live killie or Sandeel or Spearing as flash and taste.
Wackm n Satckm
Joseph B...aka...Ancient Mariner
[smile]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts