Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What reels are you boys using on those deep drop trips? What pound test? I was thinking of heading out to get some pullage on one of Captain Jim's trips and curious about the set up. I like shimano toriums but just wondering if i can get enough line on there. I was thinking torium with 20lb power pro.. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I was thinking torium but opted instead for a 1000 watt airmar,lol. I used a tld-15 for the sea bassin and a tld 20 for the deeper water/groupers. i also used 50 lb power pro on both reels. Fill the spools to the max to get the most out of the reel retrieve! I also used 5 1/2' penn stand up rods- 12/30 and a 20/50 for the tld-20. Most used longer "noodle rods on my trip which worked fine. I liked the shorter rods with the stiffer tips (fast action with a lot of ass). We used 16 and 20 oz's lead- i grabbed a couple of leads this size before the trip and tested them at home to make sure they felt good. Light rods and reel, 60 lb power pro- and I made up Jinkai 130 lb test leaders. actually used 9/0 circle hooks for the grouper and 5/0 octupus for the bass. Also used a puss belt but it helped my screwed up back that I put on after catching a few fish. I would say 20 lb power pro is way too light- that torium 20 with 60 lb power pro will work fine. I saw everything else being used on the boat including a high speed 4/0 senator.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Thanks cool breeze. I have several tld 25's I use for my trolling tackle. I think i will go with the torium or tld 20 maxed out with 40lb power pro. That should haul anything up I need from the deep. Although hitting a switch and watching the reel come on in may be the easier way. What should I aim for for max line on that reel any idea? 500? Thanks for the help!! I just need to get a buddy from the shore to head down with me and jump on a put together trip.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I would lean towards the torium if you're going to purchase a new reel. I just bought one for wreck fishing. It has a faster retrieve ratio than the tld's. I spooled mine with 300+ yards af 80 lb power pro. I typically don't go beyond the triangles so that is plenty of line for me. You probably want 500+ on some of the stuff I hear the Jil Carrie fishes this time of year.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just ordered the torium. I will be booking with Captain Jim as soon as I get a buddy to make the 3hr drive...

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I'm taking a Torium 16 loaded with 50# PP, Tekota 600 loaded with 50#PP, A 310 GTI With Spiderwire Stealth 50 and an Avet SX loaded with Suffix 50 braid.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Torium or Saltga in the 6.2:1 ratio is my favorite. I use a 30 loaded with 80 lb braid and get well over 300 yards on it. I imagine a 20 loaded with 50 lb braid would have a similar capacity. You'll be thankful for the high retrieve ratio when you are in 300 feet plus of water. If I need more capacity I switch to a 6/0 high speed Senator with 1200 yards of braid on it. TLDs aren't a bad choice, but their retrieve ratios leave a bit to be desired and they just seem to fall right in the middle for the capacity that I need.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
900 feet of braid is enough right? I can't imagine running our of braid with a fresh 300 yrd. spool on there. My torium 16 holds a full 300 yrd of 50 PP with a good bit of backing. Any advantage to using the bigger Toriums?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when are you going? Im booked for march 1st.
I am going to try and go the end of march. That was when he had a opening on a put together trip. I don't have enough die hard friends to go out in the deep in winter. I think the reel will be fine plus i can switch it over for a back up for striper season. I ordered the 20...

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
900 feet of braid is enough right? I can't imagine running our of braid with a fresh 300 yrd. spool on there. My torium 16 holds a full 300 yrd of 50 PP with a good bit of backing. Any advantage to using the bigger Toriums?
Depends on the current and how much weight you are willing to use. I have been out there when the current and wind were bad and I got into the backing on my 30 Torium in 50 fathoms. The bigger Toriums pull in more line per turn plus give you a little more cranking power with the larger handle. Can be nice if you are out in the deep with a couple of 15 lb tiles tugging on your string. In 200 feet or so Penn 320 works nice, other than a bit of cranking.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I just bought a Torium 20 for a deep drop trip. I have 80lb Power Pro on it and will be using 80lb mono as a leader. I have it on an 7' Ugly Stik boat rod. I don't know how that rod will work with 20 ounces of lead in 300' of water. I'll find out what it does to Grouper in 50' of water next week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went out with him last year and carried one of my favorite rods and reels. However, I discovered that the equipment that he provided was very good quality so I used his equipment. When fishing in close proximaty on a headboat, it works better when everyone uses similiar line and weight.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
I'm going on the 3rd with a bunch of fellow TF'ers from up north. I was asking the same question and got similar advise. I picked up a second hand trinadad 30 with a 6:1 retreive and spooled it with 50# Red Power Pro, since my favorate HOT PINK Fireline isn't available anymore. I'm also bringing one of the small Avits with a 5:1 retreive and a Penn 321GTI just in case. For rods I think I'm going with 3/0 trolling/boat rods because everything else I have is LTJ stuff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts