Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping you guys could lead me to a decent reel for bottom fishing....I got a 5'6" Shakespeare "sturdy stik" from trusty ol' wal-mart for like 20 bucks and need a reel to put on it. It's listed as a Med-Light action 10-25# line. I've always had junk and I've got a bunch of other boat rods laying around, here and there but at the end of last year I bought a longer "Sturdy stick" to LTJ and I was very happy with it. So what do you guys like as far as a Croaker Reel? OR even a Rod/reel setup?

Thanks!

Tony

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't wanna start no "JAZZ" but you guys have no problem looking at the thread.....but you don't have a reel?....come on man I want a Cheap reel to catch croaker..................Don't be "scarrryyy"......

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't think my advice is what you want to hear. I went through the whole "walmart/navy exchange cheap reel" thing when I first got my boat and all those reels have died out long ago. No dramatic story to tell, I was just out there to have fun and the reel turned to **** in my hand. It was the kind of frustration I wanted to avoid.
I upgraded all my spinning reels to Penn 104CS, I got them as apart of a combo at Bass Pro. I am starting my third year with one of the combos, and my second year with the rest. So far, so good. I think the combo cost $69 but may have cost as much as $99. Never researched how much the single reel would cost.
good luck

·
Registered
861 Posts
My wife can break about any reel out there with the exception of the Penn Slammer 400 spinning reel. They're pricey, but by the time you buy several cheap ones.......

Mushy

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
for croaker i use the cheapest combos i can find at walmart. The reason is mostly the three kids we have. Sometimes they drag them down to the dock and or never sure if my nephew has used them or how they are taking care of them. I keep my nicer reels away from the kids. If i get two seasons out of them i feel they have paid for themselves. Additionally the kids step on them, drop them, and general abuse them (not on purpose).

Finally, bottom fishing is very good around us and i also enjoy the fight croakers give on these little cheap reels. You actually get a good entertaining fight.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
AS far as I am concerned, it depends on how you are fishing for the croaker. If you are using the "standard" double bottom rig, or my favorite the fish finder rig set up, you will be fine usuing a set like I do with an Okuma Eclipz ez-50...its foreign, but for the price around $80 you can get it and the service they have given me has been respectful , it's either this or the good ole Pen 450 ssg which you can get for around $90...Then again teh most fun rod I have ever caught croaker on was my sons Wally world Spider Man special combo rod!!!!! Have fun, good luck, and tight lines!!!![grin]

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys!
R+B I'm with you on people breaking stuff.....that's why I've always had cheap stuff and try to get tuff rods and reels I usually rotate to whatever rod isn't broken. I'm trying to get something decent that I'll try to take care of.
Mushy, that's not too much...$69 for a rod and reel.....that's pretty good actually and even if it's $99 still not bad......Penn makes good stuff. Since I already have the rod I'll see if I can get just the Slammer 400 reel.
SS, I'll do a search and check em' out and see how much they want.

Thanks again guys!

Tony

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Bait caster style the Instinct or the San Juan from Okuma are your best bets for smaller salt water style reels.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PH, I didn't even see your first post until you posted the second time....I must be a slow typer[grin]

Thanks, I'm checking prices now!

Tony

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
245 Posts
Antman,
Try one nice rod & reel for you, and cheaper stuff for the kids and others.

The recommendation you've gotten are pretty good. But for yourself try a Stradic combo from BPS when its on sale you will pay the standard price for the reel and $10 extra for their rod.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Suggest you go to RW's Tackle on rt 360 in Callao or Queen's Creek Tackle in Cobbs Creek on route 3 and ask them to show you some decent rigs. While I still have a Penn boat rod I bought at the Navy exchange in Key West in 1964, I enjoy landing bubba much more on my new Shimano lever drag.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm with you Ginger......I bought some Okuma TL20's last year and I absolutely LOVE EM! They have the levelwind bar so you can count how much line you have out and don't have to "finger" it in.......and as far as drag systems..... lever vs. a star is an easy one...
But, that game is almost over until hopefully fall....like I said "hopefully" fall. I'm just trying to get ready for what I can get.

Tony

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If you want a conventional spool reel, you could try a Penn 209. They have plenty of line capacity and cranking power for most bottom fishing and are level winds. They could also be used to troll for Spanish, Taylor blues and school rockfish during the summer with 30 lb. mono on them.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[Q]Antman40 originally wrote:
What do you guys think about an Okuma Avenger AV-50? It's about $40.

Tony
[/Q]

This is what I got. Thanks for the input from everybody. Nobody mentioned this reel but it makes it so much easier to make a decision when you have TFr's as a resource. I put it on the rod but haven't spooled it yet...trying to decide what to put on it, mono or braid......

Thanks again!

Tony

1 - 16 of 16 Posts