Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying some new offshore outfits, probably 7 total. I was thinking of going with the Tiagras. They will be primarily used stand up fishing in the mid atlantic area. Should go with all 50's or should just a 50/50 mix between 50's and 30's? What do the experts think? I have been thinking about 3 30's and 4 50's, but still can't decide.

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
No way that I would start off with anything less than all 50's. I'm telling you that if you are even considering fishing the Canyons out of VA or fishing out of OI, nothing less than 50's will do. Blue Marlin, citation class YFT, LFT, Big Eyes, are all very common in this area, and you'll be sorry that you don't have the right tackle to bring in these types and class of fish. I've logged many an hour in the last few years, and I've seen lite tackle not deliver when the big fish bites, and will NEVER make that mistake again. Of course IF you are only targeting ******, then light tackle is good, but you don't stand much of a chance with 30's trying to land a Big Eye or Blue, and it decreases your fishing time when you have to fight a fish for hours. Sure, you COULD catch any fish out there on light tackle if everything goes perfect, but why take a chance and risk losing the fish of a lifetime?? I couldn't tell ya'............ hope you figure it out:goodluck2:

example of what can happen, 3 #100+ EYES:bigfish: all on at once and a nice YF at 60#

·
Registered
586 Posts
I agree with Bill and Alltackle. I have fished all over and seen many things. A 110 lb tuna is no fun nor sport on a 130. Like wise a 400 lb Blue Marlin on a TLD 25 is the sport at its utmost. Funny thing is that Bill is saying this. He has a big not so manuverable boat but would still go with 30's in the spread. Walkaround's and CC's you can catch most any fish swimming with a 30.

You cant catch them all and with some of the opinions on this thread we all might as well be dragging ropes with hooks.:rockon:

Why do you guys choose to use lighter gear on the flat/short lines?
Closest rod to the boat with hopefully the least line out.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
its crazy to spend all that money to go offshore and take a chance at an angler screwing up - leave them in the holder and let the electrons work for you

·
Registered
59 Posts
4 30sw's,2 50vsw's,a 70 vs & an 80tw.2 30's on the flats,2 30's on the shorts, 2 50's on the longs, a 70 for the shotgun & an 80 on the planer rod.I also have 2 16s 2-speeds for playing with dolphin or chunking yellowfin.This setup has worked well for me. RED EYE-24Topaz

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
50s(4-6) and 30s(2-4) for me. Agree with the general opinion of using the 30s on the shorter lines of the spread and 50s for the further back and/or the monster lures/planers.

I don't mind the extra excitement that the fish at the other end might have you outgunned.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all the input. I think i'm going to go with at least 2 30's since I already have rods that I could put them on. Probably do either 4 or 5 50's for now and add a 70 or 80 later. What sucks is replacing all this stuff at one time. $$$$

·
Registered
263 Posts
Avet T-RX
The definitive 50 wide, 100 pounds of drag and superior freespool right out of the box! It's a MONSTER!
Avet's new flagship in reel design and performance has arrived. This is as good as they get. The T-RX (or T-Rex as it's commonly called) produces an unbelievable 100#'s of drag, nothing does that. Use it to winch in a fish, or retrieve your boat if the ramp is slippery! The reels is made here in the USA, from machined aluminum, type 2 anodized, with six stainless steel shielded ball bearings and stainless components. The most unique thing about the reel is the construction of it's drag system, with twin titanium disks on both sides with 4 carbon fiber brake pads! You've got equal drag pressure coming from both sides of the spool, and that pressure is as close to unlimited as any man can stand. You may not ever need 100#'s of drag, but that points to the headroom, the capability of this monster. Oh, I failed to mention, that's 100#'s of drag with excellent freespool. It will button down at a whopping 114# of drag in the full position. This is a winch.

The T-RX is a 50 wide size, holds 950 yards of 50# line, but most will fill her with 500 yards of 135# Spectra and top off with 100# mono. That will give you about 800 yards of heavy line to work with, enough for just about any monster fish you're going to find, anywhere. The reel features a 3.2:1 and 1.3:1 gear ratio and weighs in at 79 ounces for the wide and 74 ounces for the narrow version. We're including 500 yards of Spectra backing and your topshot with this new reel, as well as a very nice reel cover. Shipping is included within the 48 contiguous states.

Price includes FREE mono spooling, Izorline or Jerry Brown Spectra backing,
reel skin and shipping within USA.

AVET 30 T-RX also posted below - Same concept as the 50, dual drags, both sides of spool for a whopping 70#'s of drag or better...

From Charkbait web site....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts