Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following up on Twiskman's thread I thought we could mention some of the more common reels Not to buy. Remember the addage "you get what you pay for". I'm more interested in spinning and conventional reels, but you baitcasting guys should chime in too:thumbup:.

I'll start the list with the Penn Captiva spinning reel. I bought a few for my friends to use on my boat when bottom fishing for spot, anything can handle that right? Nope, ceramic support arm and reel foot break, the whole reel twists in your hand, absolute junk. Second is the conventional Penn 345 Gti. While very powerful and the perfect gear ratio for pulling heavy umbrellas, the level-wind has proven faulty on 3 out of the 4 I own. I think I'll stick to the 113h's from now on for Bay trolling.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Following up on Twiskman's thread I thought we could mention some of the more common reels Not to buy. Remember the addage "you get what you pay for". I'm more interested in spinning and conventional reels, but you baitcasting guys should chime in too:thumbup:.

I'll start the list with the Penn Captiva spinning reel. I bought a few for my friends to use on my boat when bottom fishing for spot, anything can handle that right? Nope, ceramic support arm and reel foot break, the whole reel twists in your hand, absolute junk. Second is the conventional Penn 345 Gti. While very powerful and the perfect gear ratio for pulling heavy umbrellas, the level-wind has proven faulty on 3 out of the 4 I own. I think I'll stick to the 113h's from now on for Bay trolling.
Face, Surprised to hear about problems with 345 GTI's. I use the 340s, which is the same as 345 with less line capacity, and have some 345s also. I use these exclusively for spring and fall and never had one fail me yet and I've been using them for years. I prefer the 340 over the 345 only because the extra line capacity of the 345 is really not needed for the fish we catch. I do service them regularly over the winter and lube them ocassionally during the season but have been propblem free. They work better when fishing umbrellas and I count "bars" to determine amount of line out. Having said that, all of mine are older reels so I have no clue whether they have changed anything on newer models.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Spinning

For the money I like the Pflueger Medalist saltwater series $89 at Bass Pro, nice drag,smooth and handle the salt well(I don't rinse my reels every time:eek:) Johnny O

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
340's and 345's

aafinest, I've heard the same from everyone I discuss this with. In fairness to these reels I have been a little rough with them as far as storage goes. They are usually in a pile in my v-berth with about 20 trolling rods. Could well be my fault that the level-winds have screwed up. This won't be a problem when I finish the restoration of my Bertram 28. There will be plenty of room for rod storage.

Any idea if I can disable the level-wind feature on the 345's, remove it completely? I haven't taken the time to take the reel apart yet.
-joe

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Joe - A simple and quick fix for your line guide would be to check the pawl and worm gear to make sure they are not worn or chipped...check out this other thread that I explained what I'm talking about here (see page 2)...http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/che...0374-worth-fixing-my-reel.html?highlight=pawl

If you still prefer to remove/disable the line guide you can...the line guide can be removed without affecting the performance of the reel...you may have the tendency to want to remove the worm gear and shield too just to get it out of the way since it wont be used for anything, right? However by doing so you will have 2 openings/holes on each side of the reel that will invite the intrusion of water, dirt, etc to wreak havoc on the internal workings of your reel...just remove the line giude itself and leave the worm gear and shield in place...they will be out of the way of the line and keeping them in place will keep anything from getting into your reel.

Give me a shout if you have any further questions and I'll be glad to help or walk you through it...443-848-1074

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Anything Bass Pro put's it's name on. The reels might not be terrible, but there is no way of knowing who made the things, making getting spare parts impossible. Found out the hard way..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reelsmith, thank you for the response. I'll check it out. I am planning on removing this feature and appreciate the advice from someone who has been inside these reels.

I'm slowly building an offshore arsenal and because of this I think I'm done with level-winds, even in the Bay. I know a 113h for example is not ideal for offshore trolling but I would put it up against a similar-sized level-wind any day when schoolie tuna or mahi are around.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Penn 309M

I have a couple of Penn 309 M reels. Haven't used them too much - no big fish yet. They pull umbrellas pretty well and seem pretty bullet-proof.

Any body else use these? I was thinking of buying a couple more.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Guys, Spend the extra $$$ and get Shimano TLD 25 I have 8 of them for 4 years already and not one problem.

I have 2 OKUMAS Convector 55 and boy they are junk. The finnish is all gone the stardrag broke the handle came of while fiting a fish forget it JUNK !

I just got 4 more shimanos TLD 25.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
I have a couple of Penn 309 M reels. Haven't used them too much - no big fish yet. They pull umbrellas pretty well and seem pretty bullet-proof.

Any body else use these? I was thinking of buying a couple more.
The workhorses of the bay and have been around for years . I still use them and own a few 209's and 9's as well .

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Guys, Spend the extra $$$ and get Shimano TLD 25 I have 8 of them for 4 years already and not one problem.

I have 2 OKUMAS Convector 55 and boy they are junk. The finnish is all gone the stardrag broke the handle came of while fiting a fish forget it JUNK !

I just got 4 more shimanos TLD 25.
The nice thing about the TLD 25's is that they can see double duty as an offshore reel and can handle mahi , sharks , white marlin and smaller tuna . Okuma Covectors , like their offshore cousins the Titus line , are accidents waiting to happen .:yes:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
aafinest, I've heard the same from everyone I discuss this with. In fairness to these reels I have been a little rough with them as far as storage goes. They are usually in a pile in my v-berth with about 20 trolling rods. Could well be my fault that the level-winds have screwed up. This won't be a problem when I finish the restoration of my Bertram 28. There will be plenty of room for rod storage.

Any idea if I can disable the level-wind feature on the 345's, remove it completely? I haven't taken the time to take the reel apart yet.
-joe
Joe. Reelsmith answered your question about disabling the level wind on your 345s. Level winds require a little more TLC than a 113 or any non-level wind reel for sure. I love the 113 and it's a great reel and still have a few I use for wire line, they are pretty much bulletproof. Restoring a 28 Bertram huh, good luck with her, I have a 38 Convertible which was my dream boat for years. Finally got it 4 years ago and completed a gas to diesel re-power 2 years ago. Shoot me a PM if I can help you in any way with your Bert.

Sam

1 - 20 of 71 Posts