Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone give me a good range of reels to use trolling ches bay/ ocean. okuma 300L to small? I use 4/0 now but seem a lil big. Trying to bid on a few on ebay but hard to get the actuall size through the pics. Daiwa 50H Daiwa 400 and 450 just dont know if they are to big small or waht. Any imformtion would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm a big fan of Penn 330 GTi's. I've got Penn 340 too, but that's overkill for the bay and a classic "wife asks sales guy for a really nice reel for her husband"!

·
Registered
312 Posts
my brother has the okuma 300L and i have the 45dl convector, , both very nice and cant beat the price, i think the convector has a nicer feel , i may be biased though at cabelas they have the convector in a 30 series if that is the size you are looking for

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
For the big fish in the Bay, I think you couldn't go wrong with a Penn 330. It had plenty of capacity and adequate cranking power. I've got several of them and also some of the 4/0 Special Senators. If you are going to pull a big umbrella rig with a 24 to 32 ounce weight on it, you might want to move up to a 6/0 Penn Senator or an International 50W for the cranking power.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i have a few of the okuma's and slowly are weeding them out as they break, for the price they are great but if you troll mojo's ect. you need a better quailty. The okumas are good for blues and spanish. Ilike what has been said abouve the penn 330, they also have a lever drag now too. I also use the penn 209s just make sure you take off the level wind before you use it (trust me). The 340 is over kill for the bay, but if you go offshore once or twice a year you will have a dual purpose.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention Simano. I use the Tekotas, 700 series for Rockfish from the bay to ocean and the 600 series for Blues and Spanish in the Potomac. They are by far one of the best reels I have used. Very smooth, powerful and a good drag, my favorite.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have had a variety of reels over the years. I fish an ave or more times per year and I take ave care of my reels. Basically I rinse them with fresh water after each use.

Okumas have been junk in my exp. I have had one lock up and several more the scews rest out very quickly.

The penns are not great now either. Their drag and crank system is very tough and proven but the little parts are extra cheap now. We have had several clickers and levels break.

I have been almost all shimanos for the last 3 yrs with zero problems. By the little star drag one or small inexp tdl's. They tekatos are one of the nicest reels out there IMHO. Buttery smooth and very well made

Rockfish are not diff fish to reel in. They are not very hard fighters. People tend to oversize.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think oversize is better than undersize. I've had more than one experience when we've had two husky Rockfish on at the same time. That's when you really need the cranking power. One time when I was working as the mate on the old Midnight Sun we had three on the same rig. The angler was an older fellow and it nearly killed him to reel them all in. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Whatever you choose, keep in mind that it's absolutely critical to know how much line you have out and how deep your rigs are running.
I prefer levelwinds for this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry 'bout the misspelling on the above Shimano, I just noticed it. I take very good care of my reels, I rinse, wipe down and dry them faithfully after every use but, don't trust myself taking them apart for a thorough cleaning. Can anyone recommend someone who does this professionally or is very trusted.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i haven't seen anyone mention simano. I use the tekotas, 700 series for rockfish from the bay to ocean and the 600 series for blues and spanish in the potomac. They are by far one of the best reels i have used. Very smooth, powerful and a good drag, my favorite.
i 2nd that motion

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
There is no comparison between shimano and penn. If you have not reeled in a tld or tekota u don't know what you are missing.

Can you reel in a trophy fish on a 330 or okuma? Sure! But wait till you have one fail one you. They do

If you only fish a couple times a year you will be fine. My rods live on my boat in the salt air and penns and okumas have only lasted a season or two

I HIGHLY respect daves opinion and exp. He either has some good older models and or he prob takes better care than I have.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am in the process of switching to all Shimano TLD 20's. Now have 4 in my spread and 3 to go. Shimano's are balanced reels. Try to crank in big fish on an Okuma and the reel will rock back and forth while in your hand. Secondly, the lever drag set up on the Shimano's are smooth as glass. How many times have you seen someone tighten a star drag to help get a fish in. Maybe it helps, but after one fish, your drag settings are all screwed up. There is no drag change settings to make on a Shimano while cranking in a fish. Need a little more drag and push the lever forward. Push it back to the strike position and everything remains the same. I decided to make the switch this spring when I bought a Penn 230 (last minute purchase to fill my spread) and the drag system blew out on the 1st fish. Had to hand line in 260' of fish. Never again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree, the shimano's are just hard to beat. They are tough and durable and most importantly, reliable. The penns don't have sh$t on the shimano's.

·
Registered
187 Posts
4/0 to 6/0 penns will last forever with minor care, i fish as much as anybody for stripers, tuna , bottom fish etc. I have had issues with the others mentioned including your esteemed shimano's, they cost more and are of similar quality. Bang for the buck is stiil a penn. Bill

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a Shimano TLD 20 and it is OK but I much prefer my Penn 320s and 330s which I use for general trolling for rock. I spray all my reels with fresh water after every trip, I lube the bail drive and i take them in to Queens Creek for overhaul each January. Been doing this for nine years. Penns are great, infrequent fishermen can use them with little training and they carry either mono or braid. Caught some nice fish on the Penns.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Lighten up

Not to criticize anyone, since I use heavy and not-so-heavy gear for Bay fishing. Just depends on my purpose and mood at the moment. I am not an IGFA member and I am not skillful enough to use the feather weight stuff, although a little Penn spinner is my favorite Flounder rig and a little Penn level wind is favorite bottom fishing rig.

Penn 320 is too much for 75% and good for 95% of bay fishing. Add a power handle and your good for 99%. Get 2 big Rockfish on at a time -- it's just gonna take some time to get them in the net.
Cannon Ball, MoJo trolling deserves a 330 or 340 especially with a double rig.
Add 5' - 5 1/2' medium action roller tip or all roller rod and life is good.

Over kill on equipment takes a lot of skill/fun out of the game. If you're meat fishing, go big and crank'em on board. It's all a matter of choice and nothing wrong with either method. :thumbup:
Another 2 cents.............
budc

1 - 20 of 22 Posts