Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have friends with me from Delaware this weekend. We will be trolling on my boat with has a rockfish sticker. Per the regulations, my friends also need to register for free (PITA). Is this ever enforced on the water?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I have two guests this weekend, but have another question - is the licensing sate-by-state or is it Federal.
My guests are licensed in South Carolina.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Who is going to check. Neither DNR nor the Coast Guard give a rat's ass about the NOAA license. When was the last time anyone from NOAA pulled anyone over. Just saying..........

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
If you get checked and asked for the registrations for your guests just tell them the experts on Tidalfish advised you that you would not be checked. I'm sure the officer will tell you he is sorry for the inconvenience and send you merrily on your way.

These registrations are for our own good. They give a count as to how many people are fishing in each state. This in turn gives them vital information for fisheries management. The states also use this information. You want fisheries managers to know how strong the rec industry is but ***** about giving them the necessary tools to work with? ,and it is free to boot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe it is a FIN #. It is for the Feds. Yes you should get them to register. It has nothing to do with NOAA. If DNR checks you, they will ask for them.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
It is a state not federal registration requirement. I have never heard of MD DNR checking individual fishermen for licenses/registration on vessels with a boat license--seems like no one is taking that seriously. VA marine police will definitely ticket MD fishermen fishing in VA waters under a MD license if they have not registered with VA.

Legally, everyone fishing in tidewater in MD or VA needs a license or needs to be registered within the state they are fishing in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know I need one to fish Delaware. It automatically assigns one when you get your license there. I think they need one even though the boat has a permit. It's free so just get it and avoid any issues.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Either register with the state: http://dnr.maryland.gov/compass_redirect.html

or with the Feds: www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/register/

register with NOAA = $25
register with the state = free (or included with individual license purchase)
You are posting incorrect information that may confuse people. The NOAA registration is not a substitute for registering or being licensed by individual states, there is a lot of confusion about this!! If you read the text on the page you reference it states:
--------------------------------------------------
As of January 1, 2011, if you have a saltwater recreational fishing license or registration from any state
or U.S. territory EXCEPT Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands, you are AUTOMATICALLY
registered and do not need to take further action. Please be sure to follow all
laws and regulations in the waters in which you are fishing.

If you fish in Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, or Virginia, please be aware there are
new state fishing license and registration requirements. Please check with these states before
registering with NOAA. If you meet these state requirements,
you are automatically registered with NOAA.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The statement indicates if you register with the state you are automatically registered with NOAA, it does NOT indicate that if you register with NOAA you are automatically registered with every state!

To summarize, even if you register with NOAA and you fish in VA with a MD boat or other license and you are not licensed or have not registered with VA you are in violation of VA state law.

Everyone needs to be licensed or registered in every state they fish in, it is straightforward but there is a lot of confusion.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I forgot all about this, how do i register with NOAA again? I did it last year but not this year...
Forget about NOAA unless you target billfishes, tuna or sharks in the US EEZ, everyone needs to learn and pay attention to MD, VA and other STATE requirements for licensing and registration.

If the states eliminated the MD/VA license reciprocity and "boat licenses" and required everyone to purchase a license for any state where they fish all the confusion would go away.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
MD https://compass.dnr.maryland.gov/DnrCompassPortal

VA http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/fip/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
From the VA site:

"The intent is to create a Virginia-wide "phone book" of saltwater anglers with their contact information.

This phone book will be given to the National Marine Fisheries Service in order to improve fishing effort surveys, and to exempt Virginia anglers from having to sign up with the National Saltwater Angler Registry and pay the annual federal registration fee.

The free Virginia Fisherman Identification Program is effective as of Jan. 1, 2011.

Here is a general rule of thumb: As of Jan. 1, 2011, virtually every adult saltwater angler (16 and older) in Virginia will need either a valid saltwater fishing license or to register with the Fisherman Identification Program every year.

So, if you have an annual Virginia saltwater fishing license of any type, or an annual Potomac River Fisheries Sport Fishing License, you DO NOT have to register with the state FIP. You will be automatically registered when you buy a license and give your contact information.

Anglers under the age of 16, lifetime license holders, and paying customers on a licensed charter or head boat also DO NOT have to register with the state FIP.

Registration with the Virginia Fisherman Identification Program is required for anglers age 16 and older who are exempt under state law from having to buy a saltwater fishing license (such as those who fish on a boat licensed to cover all anglers; from a commercial pier or private property; or who are age 65 and older). Effective 7/1/13 there is a $5 optional lifetime saltwater fishing license for VA resident anglers 65 or older, if a person has purchased this optional license they do not need to register in FIP.

Registration also is required of anglers who fish in tidal freshwater for anadromous species such as striped bass or other marine species."

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The real PIA is when you have to ask your weekend guests to go through all the COMPASS registration hassle for a couple of hours on my licensed boat!

·
Registered
71 Posts
We have been having issues getting people registered through Compass if they forget their password from previous use. We also tried going to a license center and they could not register them as they said they did not have that option on their computer.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,295 Posts
....... Don't worry about it ........ Stonewall will pay your fine :yes: .........

Yes you need it ........ It's free and only takes a minute

1 - 17 of 17 Posts